• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
NICE SCORE, SHAME ABOUT THE GAME

Southend returned to the top of league one tonight after a professional but spluttering display against a team surely destined for league 2 if not extinction.

The three points were, to be honest, courtesy of a first half mugging and Rotherhams total ineptitude in front of goal.  The game was reminiscent of so many away days the last time we were in this league and made the drop into the basement.  We would dominate games and not deserve to lose, yet lose we did and often comfortably.  The tables have been turned as surely only the most diehard optimistic shrimper would have thought that we deserved the spoils tonight.

After a bright start, Gower turned his man on the edge of the box in the 12th minute and shot goalwards.  The ball somehow eluded everyone, struck the post, and instantly turned into food for the Goat as he prodded home to put Blues one up.  This had the effect of spurring Rotherham into life and their pacy frontline were giving the Blues defence, Sodje in particular, a torrid time.  In fact, Efe looked more dodgy than Sodje as he made several unforced and careless errors in what surely must have been the worst half he has played for us so far.  Freddy's touch had completely deserted him as he went through a mad five minutes when he could do nothing but give the ball away.  The Maher/Guttridge midfield combo were also off colour as Rotherham seemed to be all over us like a rash and pushed hard for an equaliser, spurning chance after chance.  Darryl Flahavan was on top form but in fairness there was very little that looked capable of beating him.

Then, at the height of the pressure, a lucky rebound fell our way and Gower swept the ball forward to Eastwood, who played a delightful one two with Goater before tucking the ball past the keeper on 36 minutes.

That was that - game over.

Rotherham wasted a few more gilt edged opportunities, the best of which was a pathetic attempt at a free header from 5 yards out that seemed to bounce off the strikers cheek/neck before dropping harmlessly into Flahavans arms.

At the start of the second half, Blues almost scored a third straight from the kick off when a Freddy piledriver was parried out to Bentley who was just about to tap into the unguarded net when a visiting boot toe-poked the ball out for a corner. Afetr that, Southend's job was one of containment.  Prior stood strong, Sodje became less dodgy, and the only moments of concern resulted from errors made by Jupp and Wilson, who were otherwise solid.

But as the game began to drift away from Rotherham, the tackles flew in more and the game became a niggly affair.  The ref, who was actually pretty good, booked several people in the second half but was really given no option.

Guttridge, who had been off colour, went down under an alleged late challenge but I have to say from my position (alomost bang in line) there seemed to be clear daylight between him and his assailant, who was yellow carded.  Within minutes the favour had been returned, as the assailant leapt theatrically into the air as Guttridge ran past him.  Again, the ref was conned as there was even more daylight between the players.  Guttridge was carded and subbed shortly afterwards to stop him getting sent off, which was very much on the cards and this seemed to be Rotherhams main aim as victory was clearly no longer on the agenda.

Bradbury had a decent 15 minutes in place of The Goat, who had been a useful outlet and it was nice to see him get a standing ovation from both sets of fans.  First impressions - he will endear himself to the fans because he will chase everything and this nearly reaped rewards on one occasion.  He could have had a hat trick on another day and if anything looked as if he was trying a bit too hard.

So, we keep the pressure on the other teams around us who  must now all win to maintain the same position that existed just 3 1/2 hours ago.  Any slip ups strengthen our position, which I have to say looks scarily tasty.  I will be happy to reserve our real performances for our travels and carry on spluttering to victories at home which will ultimately ensure we go up as champions.

Ratings -

Flahavan - 8.5 - MOM.  Didn't put a foot wrong, made several good saves and handling impeccable.  If there was a weakness it was perhaps distribution but otherwise he has turned into a very, VERY competent keeper.

Jupp - 7 - Solid enough - usual heartstopping moments on occasions but made some fantastic blocks and tackles.
Wilson - 7 - He has improved immeasurably since last season and again made some great blocks and tackles.
Prior - 8 - Pick of the defence, commanding in the air, strong in the tackle.  Couldn't have given more.
Sodje- 6 - The first bad day at the office for Efe, who was booked late on for blocking their striker when clean through.  In fairness, I didn't think he could have gotten out of the way, but if the ref thought it was a foul I think he should have been red carded as he was last man.  Not complaining though!  Only one goal conceded since he joined, so how bad is that?

Gower - 8 - Superb performance.  Gower at his creative best, which I didn't think we would ever see again due to his fitness problems.
Maher - 6.5 - Seemed overrun and has reverted to the looping  lay off aimed at no-one in particular again.  Rotherham shut our midfield down very well, so lets give him the benefit of the doubt.
Guttridge - 6.5 - Off colour tonight and a shadow of the player he has been so far. Also cheated to get an opponent booked as far as I was concerned and what goes around comes around, as he found out later.
Bentley - 7 - Had a couple of chances and always looked for the ball.  Keeps going and going.

Eastwood - 7 - Rotherham were extremely physical towards him and his quick feet got him out of trouble on occasion.  Notched another goal to end his barren spell and seal the points.
Goater - 7.5 - The pass to Eastwood for the second goal was sublime.  He looked exactly what we wanted him to be - strong, powerful and held the ball up extremely well.

Subs-  

Bradbury - 7 - Could have had a goal or two, tried hard, perhaps too hard?
Cole - 6 - Came on for Gower.  No real opportunites.
Pettefer - 6 - On for Guttridge in last minute and I don't think he touched the ball.

Ref - Decent enough.  7.  Coloured lino made some interesting decisions though!

Thorough as always

Glad to see we aggree about Daryl being MOM, I was stunned when they announced it was Gower

Flahavan was excellent tonight. Everything on target stuck in those gloves without fail. Rotherham didn't have enough pressure to test him at all in the aerial battles but I certainly don't hold that against Flavs.

Still had Gower as MOM myself though.

Referee was AWFUL! Two leg-breaking challenges by their No.15 and constant diving by their No.10!

All got a waggy finger.

Yep, Flahavan MOM but I thought Fredy was looking very sharp tonight and worked hard-just thought I'd mention it

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobM. @ Feb. 11 2006,00:08)]Referee was AWFUL!  Two leg-breaking challenges by their No.15 and constant diving by their No.10!

All got a waggy finger.
Oh so it wasn't just me who noticed the SHOCKING game from the referee then?!!! Williamson should have been off for 2 yellows and if we're all honest Gutts should have got a straight red for a dreadful high challenge above Williamson's knee in the 2nd half which (luckily) went completely unpunished!!

Agree with most of what fbm says - wasn't the best game, it was the worst we've played for a while - yet we came away with three points. Can't complain!

I disagree. I thought we were well worthy of the points in a professional performance. We went 2-0 up and won the game game without having to exert ourselves which is what is needed with a tough trip to brentford coming up. We always looked like we could step it up whenever we needed to, but we didn;t have to. A very comfortable win.

Spot on, fbm, as always.

My only thought was that despite their neat play and possession at times, I never thought they looked that dangerous... and that's because they have absolutely zero confidence.

If your forwards, in particular, have no confidence... you're buggered. They look like a side destined for the drop, I'm afraid.

We played poorly, we won 2-0... can't argue with that, really. And Flavs my clear MotM - a superb display.

Bring on the Brentford - and let's hope we play a bit better...!

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Feb. 10 2006,23:26)]Bradbury - 7 - Could have had a goal or two, tried hard, perhaps too hard?
Too hard indeed. A little bit of composure would have seen at least one of them go in. Good he was getting the chances though and looked pretty sharp.

Reminded me a little of David Crown. Lets hope he bangs a few goals in like Crowny did!

I too thought the referee was AWFUL as were the linos , where do they get them from ??           I also thought we were well worthy of the 3 points and although we took our foot off the accelerator in the second half , ( in Tillys post match words we became complacent ), but think thats fair enough bearing in mind we play again on Tuesday.  I'm not too sure how a player can try TOO hard either ! Also what does Flavs have to do to get a MotM , score a hat-trick ?

Maybe we back off a bit because we know the squad is a little light on numbers? I mean, 2-0 up and is it worth risking an injury to make it 3-0? Chelsae can, but us little shrimp people?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Feb. 10 2006,23:26)]...  The tables have been turned as surely only the most diehard optimistic shrimper would have thought that we deserved the spoils tonight...
I must be the most diehard shrimper then.  Even though we were poor, it's only by our own standards.  We did more than enough for most of the game to throughly deserve the spoils.

Not for one moment in the match did I ever think we were going to get anything less than the three points.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suffolk Blue @ Feb. 11 2006,12:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Feb. 10 2006,23:26)]... The tables have been turned as surely only the most diehard optimistic shrimper would have thought that we deserved the spoils tonight...
I must be the most diehard shrimper then. Even though we were poor, it's only by our own standards. We did more than enough for most of the game to throughly deserve the spoils.

Not for one moment in the match did I ever think we were going to get anything less than the three points.
I'll have a pint of what you're on then!

I thought they passed the ball much better than us and on another day could have scored 3 or 4. Thank god our keeper had a stormer. It certainly didn't look like top v bottom.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Feb. 11 2006,00:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobM. @ Feb. 11 2006,00:08)]Referee was AWFUL! Two leg-breaking challenges by their No.15 and constant diving by their No.10!

All got a waggy finger.
Oh so it wasn't just me who noticed the SHOCKING game from the referee then?!!! Williamson should have been off for 2 yellows and if we're all honest Gutts should have got a straight red for a dreadful high challenge above Williamson's knee in the 2nd half which (luckily) went completely unpunished!!
The ref had a bad game, it was getting to physical with tackles flying in, he was giving warnings when he really needed to stamp some authority down. Then decided to make some yellows, all bar sodjes were probably correct, from my view sodje did well to get the ball away and wasnt realy a block, you could see how dissapointed he was.

good report, flahaven was amazing again.

I must be either super critical or it's down to me being ill at the moment!

I thought most of the team were pretty poor. IMHO the only players to come out of it with any sort of credit for their performance were Spinner, Bradbury, Freddy and obviously Flavs.

Gutts had probably his poorest game for us, Bentley looked either unfit or just plain tired, Sodje had an absolute 'mare and Goater, goal and assist aside I thought gave us very little. Bradbury offered far more threat in his 15 minutes on the pitch.

The fact our keeper was M.O.M by a mile at home against a team 23rd in the League says a lot.

Why do we still insist in launching it forward at the first chance when Goater is in the side? Their 2 centre backs looked very shaky when players ran at them yet we lobbed it up in the air and it kept coming back at us. Their No6 looked easy pickings if we could've got Freddy running at him constantly.

God, I'm turning into wiggy.
oops.gif
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Feb. 10 2006,23:26)]Maher - 6.5 - Seemed overrun and has reverted to the looping  lay off aimed at no-one in particular again.  Rotherham shut our midfield down very well, so lets give him the benefit of the doubt.
Harsh, very harsh indeed.

Certainly not the worst midfielder on the pitch last night.

A 7 for the referee ? It was precisely his inability to set an example in the first half that led to some very dodgy challenges (from both teams) in the second. Also Maher and Gutts received a lot of off the ball kicks and nudges so I can understand their frustration as the match went on.

Good performance from Freddy. ORM was out of the chair with his left foot piledriver early in the second half, leading to some very strange looks from those around me.
biggrin.gif
1 goal a month - at least that's more prolific than G Jones esq.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back