• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
BRIGHTON ROCK AS LATE SHOW SEALS BLUES PASSAGE

Southend made heavy going of their 2nd round Carling Cup tie against Brighton at Roots Hall this evening, but in the end it was a naive managerial decision by Albion caretaker boss Dean Wilkins that showed Blues the way.  Tilly had made 2 changes - relegating Peter Clarke to the bench in favour of the fit again Efe Sodje and bringing in Lewis Hunt for Luke Guttridge, who wasn't in the squad at all.

But before I get stuck into the report, a moan, I'm afraid.

Such is the recent success of our club that they are lucky enough to be able to have pre-sold the majority of the home tickets in advance, thereby making ticket office staff almost redundant on league match days.  However, they seem to have forgotten how to deal with demand for tickets at cup games such as this where a significant number of people turn up and pay on the gate.  I was at the ground at 7:30 and was amazed at the lack of fans on the streets, and ventured into Shakespeare Avenue only to be greeted by a queue of what was probably 150-200 people wanting to either purchase a ticket or pick up a pre-purchased one.  It is disgraceful that only one ticket window was open.  After 15 minutes of waiting and only advancing 2 or 3 places I decided to head off to the Club Shop to see if I could get a ticket there.  No problem, with 5 staff twiddling their thumbs.  I informed them that there was a hefty queue in Shakespeare and was told "Yeah, it's an absolute joke, innit?". Which, unfortunately, it is.  Except that it isn't funny.

If anyone from the club is reading this, please take note.

Consequently I missed the first 10 minutes or so so cannot comment on the opening exchanges.

However, the game itself had a pre-season feel, although it was clear that Southend were the better team.

In truth, the visitors possessed little quality although they defended doggedly and repelled every Southend effort, managing also to look occasionally dangerous on the counter.  One decent move saw the diminuitive Cox fire narrowly wide of Flahavans right post and there was some decent delivery into the box but without any visiting head on the end of it.  The back four were solid and never really looked like being breached.

Blues best efforts came near the end of the half.  First, a decent move saw Freddy blast wide from the edge of the box, and then in injury time a lucky ricochet set him clear on goal with only the keeper to beat.  He took his shot very early and Kuipers made the save.  Within seconds Southend had carved another opening and a great cross from the left picked out Paynter for a free header 6 yards out, but he aimed straight at the keeper when the entire goal was gaping.

The second half saw Blues even more dominant and Brighton were rarely seen as an attacking force.  Chances however, were scarce, but Freddy Eastwood was desperately unlucky when he headed a superb Campbell-Ryce cross downwards towards the goal and then watched the ball bounce up and over the bar.  Hammell also nearly repeated his free kick of last week but the ball dipped just over.

The crowd had done their best to generate a decent atmosphere and it was clear that the "spirit of Norwich" was still present as pockets of singing emerged from various parts of the ground.  With Southend well on top it seemed a goal would be inevitable, but when it came after 71 minutes it was the visitors who struck against the run of play.  Maher was caught failing to track back sufficiently in midfield and Brighton broke, with had a man over on the left.  A well worked move saw the ball played in that area to Cox, who curled a decent effort into Darryl's far corner to put the Seagulls 1-0 up.

This stunned the crowd into temporary silence and it seemed our wretched run in this competition would continue.  In fact, it was Albion who now looked more likely to get on the scoresheet again with Barrett looking shaky and Gower failing to support Hammell sufficiently defensively.

Southend had run out of ideas and Tilly brought on Hooper for Campbell-Ryce, who had probably his best game for the club.  Almost immediately he broke down the right and laid a sublime ball behind the defence, but as Freddy was preparing to stroke the ball home it was cleared for a corner by a defender.

Brighton started slowing the game down and time-wasting wherever possible, and with 3 minutes of normal time left the Brighton caretaker boss Dean Wilkins failed to heed the old maxim "never make a substitution at a corner" and made a fundamental error.  With Gower preparing to take a corner, he made a defensive substitution, bringing off the full back Reid who was guarding the back post and introducing ex-Blue Guy Butters.  From the corner, Paynter climbed highest at the back post, and nodded in the general area of the goal but without much power.  Kuipers however saw fit to try and juggle the ball and literally fumbled it into his own net.  1-1.

Although it was great to be level, you couldn't help but wonder how the 30 minutes of extra time would take it's toll on the players fitness.  We needn't have worried.

Immediately from the restart, Hooper ran over half the length of the pitch and almost played Freddy in for a repeat of the earlier move  but again the ball was cleared for a corner.  Gower again delivered, the ball was headed out to Lewis Hunt who hit a left foot volley into the net for what I believe is his first senior goal (at the right end!).  Nice one Lewis.

With now just a minute left Southend went for the jugular and Brighton caved in.  A quick throw-in saw Freddy receive the ball 25 yards out, take 3 or 4 paces and then rifle an unstoppable effort into the net past the keeper at his near post.

Unfortunately Blues conceded a sloppy second goal when El-Abd converted a free close range header 5 yards out and this type of defending will be crucified when we resume our Championship duties in front of the Cameras on Sunday.

But on the bright side however, the fans went home happy having had an action packed last 20 minutes which will make it seem like a fantastic game, even though the first 70 minutes was average at best.

Ratings:

Flahavan - 6 - Not much to do but looked nervy at times and failed to come for crosses

Francis - 7 - Great as an attacking option.  I'm yet to be convinced by his defensive duties however.
Hammell - 8 - Solid enough and his distribution was very good.
Sodje - 8 - It's great to have you back Efe.  Mopped up well.
Barrett - 7 - Superb first 45 minutes - not so superb second half.

Gower - 6 - Poor, to be honest.  Seemed to lack concentration and was far too casual at times.
Maher - 8 - caught out for the first goal but otherwise a good performance.
Hunt - 8 - Opened his goalscoring account and shored up a midfield that looked vulnerable before his return.
Campbell-Ryce - 8.5 - MOM - Terrorized the defenders, who were double and triple teaming him at times.  Best performance for us.

Eastwood - 8 - Fantastic goal, good work rate,
Paynter - 7 - He doesn't pose much threat and the "goal" he scored was more of a keepers error. Worked hard though.

Subs - Hooper (for JCR) - 8 - Settled very well.

The ref - 6 - I've seen better, seen worse.

Nice report. Did you buy tickets for the West stand at the shop?

Something I haven't mentioned on other threads is that tonight was my first sighting of Efe playing in the Blue of Southend. He looked much more commanding than I have seen Barrett or Clarke look this season and he seemed to be the best athlete on the pitch. Another thing is that he seems to read the game much earlier than most players and positions himself excellentlt.

Tonight confirmed what I have thought (based on reprots) for a long time. Efe has to start for us this season but I don't know who with.

efe was impressive today, but against pretty poor brighton forwards. i hope he is up for it, looks very fit and raring to go (looked even better for the reserves the other week i might add)

Defensively Sodje barely put a foot wrong (although he was hiding behind a pillar for their second goal), but I noticed how offensively we missed Clarke's passing ability.

Sodje's distribution was pretty woeful, repeatedly knocking it long but nowhere near our forwards. When the ball was played into the vicinity of Paynter I felt he generally won it, but too often he didn't stand a sporting chance of getting on the end of Sodje's "passes".

It will be interesting to see if Tilly opts now for the ball-playing Clarke or the stronger defensively Sodje.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 20 2006,00:57)]Nice report.  Did you buy tickets for the West stand at the shop?
I could've done but didn't. We sat in East Blacks in the end.

I must have watched a totally different game. I thought we were pretty awful apart from the last 10 mins of each half. Brighton never really let us settle on the ball and, for me, were the better team for most of the game. With a better forward line I think the game might have been beyond us before the final 5 mins. Amazing end to the game though and I thought we got out of jail last night.

If ever a substitution turned a game the woeful defensive one by Wilkins was it. I don't think we looked like scoring until then, thank you Mr Wilkins.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Sep. 20 2006,08:34)]If ever a substitution turned a game the woeful defensive one by Wilkins was it. I don't think we looked like scoring until then, thank you Mr Wilkins.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank him for bringing on Guy Butters in about the 86th minute. What an impact!

Cheers for the report fbm - topic pinned.

Brighton fans were calling for Wilkins' head on Southern Counties Radio last night. The Brighton commentator certainly seemed to think that Wilkins' naive substitution is what lost the game for the Albion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Sep. 20 2006,00:41)]SEALS BLUES PASSAGE
laugh.gif

Very amusing, where Brighton are concerned.

laugh.gif

it was the 1st time i'd been to the hall this season. i have been reading various comments about the players from others and these are my thoughts about the players' performances last night.
paynter- a heffalump ; i thought the goal he scored went in from his backside ! i thought his contribution and off ball play was non existent & lazy but i spoke to a friend who was at west brom & he said he defended well.
hammell - excellent how much was he ?
francis - everyone rated him but apart from a silly booking i didn't think much until the 2nd half ( i was in the west) and he acted as a wing half ; very good.
jcr- great, why is he always denigrated ? fast & worrying against plodders.
freddie- goal was magic, a bit selfish, but he is in that level that is slightly above the rest.
barrett- mom, 2nd half very quiet but o.k. 1st half grat tackling.
sodje - we have really missed him get him a bit fitter.
hunt - not so sure, never been a big fan; who was more surprised him or the fans over his goal ?
gower - o.k.
daryl - o.k.
maher - great i have always been a great fan of his even when we were in the 4th div. & i knew that this is where he wants to play.
hooper - impressed, where's he from ?
brighton played well & i thought they would win and deservedly so but it just goes to show.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Sep. 20 2006,00:41)]One decent move saw the diminuitive Cox fire narrowly wide
He impressed me last night. has a decent cross on him and scored a quality goal as well.

Good report! Just annoying that we outplayed them yet still conceeded 2 goals. Our defence on paper is good but we doo leak them from time to time when we really shouldn't.

Just to add a comment about the standard of service..

I have a season ticket in the east bank and booked a ticket over the phone. About 10 minutes before ko I was told at the ticket office that they had given my ticket away to someone else!!!!

Fuming I stormed up to the club shop where they had my ticket in an envelope. I sometimes worry at the quality of staff they hire to provide such shockingly bad information.

It seems that we have a championship team but a league 2 set up off the pitch!!

Back