• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Pre-season friendly results don't mean much.  Everyone says so, and even Tillys pre match notes stressed this point.

Of course, it's very easy to say this if you win.  But whilst the result may be relatively meaningless, I defy anyone to claim that they are not inwardly just a little concerned if your favourite team gets beaten by a team that sit below you in the football pyramid.

This match was billed as a friendly with bite; two local rivals and a lunchtime kick off with scores to settle both on and off the pitch.  Someone clearly forgot to tell the Southend players, who seemed to take some considerable time to get into gear with the consequence that much of the first half was played at a relatively pedestrian pace (and quite right too - the last thing you want at this stage is an injury to a key player).

Unfortunately I missed the first few minutes of the match so am unable to comment on the apparently disallowed goal we scored early on.  But it was good to be back at the Hall after what has seemed an absolute eternity, even if the crowd (I thought) was fairly disappointing.

Without getting too critical, Southend were poor in the first half and Orient deserved their lead.  Not that Blues didn't have any chances; the impressive Francis played several delightful triangles of passes with Bradbury and Smith, with one of them resulting in him squaring the ball back to Maher, 10 yards out, who didn't strike it at all cleanly and the keeper was able to make a save.

Francis had shown some class distributing the ball from the right back position and the crowd had warmed to him; how cruel therefore that he was responsible for the error which led to the opening goal.  He swung his left foot at a clearance but missed, the ball hitting his standing leg and falling for Ibehre who raced clear into the left side of the box before squaring to Alexander who was in a similar position to the one Maher had been previously.  Alexander is a proven goal getter and his calm strike gave Flahavan no chance.

Freddy hit the inside of the post with a shot after a run from halfway but Lockwood had earlier struck the bar from a free kick 20 yards out to record his only meaningful contribution to the match (aside from a second half booking).  Prior looked decidedly off colour and as good as it was to see Jay Smith back in action, he didn't really do much either.

Both sides made half time changes and it was the visitors who looked most likely to score, Collis having to make several smart saves.  It took Blues several minutes to settle but when they did Orient had no answer.  Guttridge started bossing the midfield and the impressive Hammell also did well.

Triallist striker Oujdide played far too much like Wayne Gray to be honest and I don't expect him to be retained, but star-of-the-show Freddy had several attempts and either missed the target or hit the keeper when you would have expected him to score.  His final action with about 15 mins left however was to hit the equalising goal.  He collected the ball from a very industrious JCR and turned the defender both ways before firing low into the corner from the right hand side of the penalty area.

Cue a substitution and on came Gary Hooper from Grays.  Could he prove to be the next Freddy?  He is similar to Lee Evans in size and appearance, but showed great awareness by making space in the last minute to receive the ball from an equally aware Hammell from a free kick 30 yards out.  They seemed the only 2 on the pitch who knew what was happening as Orient simply went to sleep and allowed Hooper the freedom of the penalty area as the newcomer slid the ball under the advancing Garner for the winner.  If they are to do well this season they must play for the entire game or they will end up suffering.

No ratings today, but on the plus side for Southend, Mssassi looked composed, Mitchell Cole showed fantastic pace, Hammell, Campbell-Ryce and Collis turned in decent performances and of course Hooper had a dream debut.  Francis and Barrett also formed a formidable central defensive pairing, the former looking better in the middle than at right back in this writers opinion.  On the disappointing side, Gower looked as though he was still on a beach somewhere, Prior looked as though this will be a season too far and Bradbury also looked a little pedestrian.

Still, it's very early days, we've got Ricketts to come in and no doubt 2 or 3 other players before the transfer deadline.  It's always nice to win, especially against your local rivals, and without an own goal in sight.

But then friendly results don't matter do they...

Thought Jay Smith had a few great touches, but Freddy was by far and away the best player on the pitch....even thou he was very very rusty.

Although i am a big Maher fan, the skipper had a really poor game. Gave the ball away too much and was not on the pace at all. I am sure he will have really benefitted from it though and will shine v Stoke!

I thought it was a pretty decent work out - always hard playing a lower team as they try harder and the 'better' team maybe are a bit lax. Probably will see the same dynamic Wednesday, with our guys up to beat Pompey, and they will think it will be an easy win...

As for the game, I thought Francis was superb (bar the ****-up, which was a real shame) and to disagree with FBM, I think Francis will be wasted at centre-back - his link up play going forward with Bradbury and Smith was superb and on more than one occassion he was round the back of the opposiste full back or in the box.

I think it does highlight the fact we need another centre-back, or at least some news on Sodjes fitness? Prior didnt look good and Hunt is maybe not the best in that position.

Hammell was excellent when he came on too and his set-pieces are going to be a dream for Ricketts in the air! Does make me wonder though, will Tilly stay loyal to Wilson for the start of the season and Hammell having to earn his place?...

The French trialist was not very good, despite some neat touches he didnt do anywhere near enough to earn a deal and I was suprised he even stayed for the 2nd half.

Msassi looked busy again but was off the pace at times - I would like to see him get a deal though as think he would be good cover all across midfield.

Hooper looked good too when he came on. Some smart touches and intelligent movement and quick thinking for the goal (credit Gutts IIRC, for the quick pass). Good calm finish too - be interesting to see if he gets longer in the next 2 games.

As for the rest of the guys, pretty much as is - JCR had the beating of the full back all afternoon which was a joy to watch! JCR and Francis will be a real handful for any CCC left back this year!

Glad Eastwood didnt let his head drop either when it looked like it just was not going to be his day.

All in all, pretty pleased with the lads in difficult conditions against a determined side. We do need some more players asap (hopefully before Pompey as the friendlies are running out), but I'm quite confident with what I've seen so far pre-season to think that we will do ok.

"Msassi looked busy again but was off the pace at times - I would like to see him get a deal though as think he would be good cover all across midfield."

I thought Msassi looked tidy on the ball. When he kept it simple he was far more effective than when he attempted a killer pass, which failed to reach it's intended target too often. Just wonder as to whether he'll be up to the task against Championship opposition. Worth another look Weds...

I thought that Lawson looks to have "grown up" a bit and improved from last year too.

Agree with Mssassi, I don't think that at the moment he is better than what we have, but we do lack cover in the defensive midfield position. I think he is good enough to make up the numbers in the squad.

Good to see Hooper, I didn't realise he was only 18 either.

Agree with the French Trialist, it seemed we were playing with 10 at times in the first half.

I have got a feeling that JCR will be a star for us this year, and is a much better option on the right wing than Bradbury, (who in my opinion should be given a chance up front).

With Gower or Cole on the left and the two new full backs, I think its just up front we are lacking badly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trust Treasurer Bloke @ July 23 2006,09:58)]I think its just up front we are lacking badly.
I agree that we are lacking up front - although I also agree with the other comment about centre back, as I would prefer Francis to be playing right back - and aside from Barrett I dont think we have enough at centre back. Only Barrett and Sodje give me much confidence there at Championship level - and I'm a touch unsure about Efe if I'm totally honest. Spinner will only be back up if really pushed I think, so we really need another good quality centre back pronto.

As has also been mentioned before a combative, tall, attacking centre mid would be the final one of the three. Is that O'Callaghan? Possibly...

agree bradbury should be given shot upfront he wins few balls in the air and think he would be good foil for freedy,he looks lost out wide thought it since we signed him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ July 23 2006,03:57)]Triallist striker Oujdide played far too much like Wayne Gray to be honest and I don't expect him to be retained,
I didn't see much of a similarity between him and Gray, to be honest. Oujdide looks like quite a talented player in terms of his touch and his approach play and there looked at times to be the makings of a decent understanding between him and Eastwood, but the physical side of things (which which Wayne did excel in) looked a different story. This guy doesn't look quick and doesn't look at all fit. He looked to be struggling from about 20 minutes in and I was surprised that he came out for the second half.

Yesterday was a good exercise in terms of fitness.

My player opinions:-

Flavs- A good lower league keeper, will his inability to command his box and height be our downfall?
Che- Very Che like, he will be found out at this level
Francis- Looks very classy, likes to get forward, wasted in the middle
Spinner- Should have hung up his boots
Barrett- Did ok, I think this season will be a step too far for him
Smith- Looks fitter, flashes of Jay from 3 years ago but I don't think he will ever be the same player again
Gower- Has ability, lacks fitness and pace for the championship
Maher- Did ok, lacks the killer pass and pace for this season
Bradbury- Solid and will do a job for us
Freddy- Has to perform for us to survive
Trialist Frog- Not good enough

SUBS

Collis- Solid and commanding
Hammel- Looks class, Che will never play in front of him
Hunt- Squad player at best
Gutts- Will he deliver this season, looks off the pace so far
JCR- Greedy and frustrating, I cannot stand him
Lawson- The most hes done since signing pro, never good enough for this level
Hooper- Nice touch and movement- potential for 4th choice
Massasi?- Not better than what we have- not worth signing just to make up the numbers
Cole- Very fast, could he make a big impact off the bench?

Ricketts- Has ability but big q's over his weigh and fitness, his achilles injury will be a massive blow- get Agogo in asap
Efe- Plays like a mad man, will be a liability in the championship

Priorities should be a striker who can score goals, a central defender who has played at this level with pace, a strong physical midfielder.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (benny the blue @ July 23 2006,10:57)]Yesterday was a good exercise in terms of fitness.

Flavs- A good lower league keeper, will his inability to command his box and height be our downfall?
Smith- Looks fitter, flashes of Jay from 3 years ago but I don't think he will ever be the same player again

SUBS

Massasi?- Not better than what we have- not worth signing just to make up the numbers

Ricketts- Has ability but big q's over his weigh and fitness, his achilles injury will be a massive blow- get Agogo in asap

Priorities should be a striker who can score goals, a central defender who has played at this level with pace, a strong physical midfielder.
You must be a very depressed man, wiht such low opinions of the vast majority of our squad.

You must be a very depressed man, wiht such low opinions of the vast majority of our squad.

quote]
Not at all, Im just trying to be realistic. I think I am normally guilty of getting carried away watching Southend. Im sure if you sat back and thought about it Im not actually that far off the mark. We need some quality injected asap. We will struggle this season, but we should expect that. If we avoid the drop by goal difference then I will be over the moon

I think most of the players that you are criticising are good enough to play at this level. Barrett, Flavs, Sodje, Maher, Gower, Lawson, JCR - these are all good players who deserve the chance that they're now going to get.

The only two players in the squad that I personally have serious question marks about are Che and Spinner. But in Che's case I've had those same question marks for three years and he's done a great job in that time in terms of hiding his limitations even if I don't think he's ever really improved as a footballer.

I'd agree that this is a season too far for Spinner, who could probably still hold his own at League Two level but not here. I really worry about the lack of mobility that we'd have if we started the season with the same Prior/Barrett central-defensive pairing that started yesterday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (benny the blue @ July 23 2006,11:09)]Not at all, Im just trying to be realistic. I think I am normally guilty of getting carried away watching Southend. Im sure if you sat back and thought about it Im not actually that far off the mark. We need some quality injected asap. We will struggle this season, but we should expect that. If we avoid the drop by goal difference then I will be over the moon
Yes, we need some quality, but we don't need it asap. I'm content to wait for the right player rather than just panic buy.

And whilst most of us would happily take finishing 4th from bottom on goal difference in the final game, a lot depends on the previous 45. For instance, if we had been in the bottom 3 for most of it, we'd be ecstatic. If we had had a great start, been in the top 6 at Christmas and then plummeted like a stone, we'd be as concerned as hell.

And I have to disagree with some of your comments on individual players.

Sodje is unorthodox but will be a massive player for us this season (if he can regain his fitness).

Yes, Barrett, Gower, Prior and Wilson seem to have limitations at this level but I think Maher will be fine. Guttridge took 5 minutes to settle yesterday but then absolutely bossed the midfield so I don't see how you think he's off the pace. Hunt only a squad player? He'll push Francis all the way IMHO.

The Pompey game will be an interesting exercise as you would expect them to be of a similar standard to the best Championship teams. If we can come away without a drubbing, then I think the season augers well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 23 2006,10:24)]
He looked to be struggling from about 20 minutes in and I was surprised that he came out for the second half.
At this point of the season I guess that's exactly why he came out second half - particularly if Tilly likes something about him (which he must do to some extent as this guy has played in 3 games now)

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (benny the blue @ July 23 2006,10:57)]Yesterday was a good exercise in terms of fitness.

SUBS

bloody hell! cancel the contracts of the whole damn squad
rock.gif
Obviously 95% of them are not up to the challenge
glare.gif

Tilly out! Tilly out!

Stimpson in ... Stimpson in

I despair sometimes I really do
suspect.gif

[b said:

SUBS

Mr Negative, you must be ripping your hair out? Its so bad, so bad, must be time to find another team. I here Col U need some fans!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (benny the blue @ July 23 2006,11:57)]My player opinions:-
So, if Benny the Blue was in charge at Southend United:

IN: Francis, Collis, Hammell, Hooper

OUT: Flahavan, Wilson, Prior, Barrett, Smith, Gower, Guttridge, Campbell-Ryce, Lawson, Sodje

RETAINED: Maher, Bradbury, Eastwood, Hunt, Cole

Hmmm ...

I do agree we seem short of cover at the back, but if we consider the back four that finished yesterday (Hunt, Francis, Barrett, Hammell) that isn't bad at all. It's just with Sodje injured and Prior still struggling, a couple of injuries will stretch us to the limit.

I'm sure though, that Tilly and Brush are thinking the same, and as soon as the new striker is signed (whoever he is), I'm sure another defender will be next.

Keep the faith ! !

Back