• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It must serve as a pretty good advertisement for our youth system if we can show any prospects that we have developed players deemed good enough to go onto Liverpool and Everton (and Derby...) and also that if those clubs come calling we wont stand in their way. It must make us an attractive proposition to potential young players.

Also, getting (possibly) £250,000 for a player that hasnt played for us....plus a % if he goes on to be sold seems a pretty reasonable deal. Obviously if he goes on to be a world beater and £10mil plus player but leaves on a bosman, or sees out his career at liverpool a la Gerrard or Carragher then we don't see much benefit beyond £250,000, but not sure we could hav expected much more money.

It does... Abalimba chose us over a number of Premier League clubs when he signed for our Centre of Excellence. When we exchanged our young 'keeper (whose name escapes me) with Arsenal, we managed to get the highly rated Daniel Bentley because of our how well recieved and regarded our programme is/was.

When I spoke to Duncan when I was completing my dissertation, we were regarded as one of the top five Centres of Excellence in the country and achieving Academy status was very much on the agenda.

Well I guess both, but primarily the second one. He's a kid. Doing alright in youth matches (and his goal record last season wasn't that hot) is no guarantee that he'd destroy the lower leagues.

1 Im only assuming as i read Liverpool would like his next step to be a loan move(proberly pop up at a team like Tranmere?)

2 I seen him play for our youth team a couple of times and he was always very quick,league two defenders couldnt catch him and if they could his so skillful......Also seen him on telly for liverpool reserves and England u19's highlights online he seems to have added more to his game.......shooting could proberly do with work.....but what ive seen he would thats just my opinion.
I also dont think his age can be a concern as Eastwood was 19 when he destroyed this league.

Recent highlights here:

http://www.thefa.com/video/England/Mens-U19s/2010-11/England-2-0-Slovakia

Last edited:
I also dont think his age can be a concern as Eastwood was 19 when he destroyed this league.

Eastwood was 21 when he first signed for us, and Ngoo is 17, 18 next month. There's a whole load of development in those four years for a footballer...

It does... Abalimba chose us over a number of Premier League clubs when he signed for our Centre of Excellence. When we exchanged our young 'keeper (whose name escapes me) with Arsenal, we managed to get the highly rated Daniel Bentley because of our how well recieved and regarded our programme is/was.

When I spoke to Duncan when I was completing my dissertation, we were regarded as one of the top five Centres of Excellence in the country and achieving Academy status was very much on the agenda.

When James Dunn (who we only acquired from Fulham in July 2009) left for Arsenal in November, it wasn't long before Luke Chambers arrived from the Gunners in his place (February 2010). Chambers, a Wales U16 (and now U17) international at the time, was being trailed by almost 30 clubs, the majority of which were above us in the League structure and operated Academies. Ricky Duncan and Luke Hobbs have built up very good links with Arsenal so that any prospective young player who is not offered a scholarship, or additional years at 14 or 15, is recommended to us, and we've also obtained players from the likes of Fulham and West Ham in a similiar vein.

As ESB and number11 have stated above, it really is beneficial for our club to operate in the way that it does and liaise closely with Academies. Both Ngoo and Abalimba trialled with Manchester United before moving to Liverpool and Derby County respectively, and it means that, for the player, they are encouraged to come to Southend becuase they know that there are prospectively two ways that they can progress: a) if they do really well, then the club won't stand in their way if an Academy come in for them, and b) because other players (Moussa, Herd, O'Keefe, Crawford, Ademeno, hopefully soon Merrick James-Lewis) have made it into the first-team from the Centre of Excellence, they can see that there is a place for them if they work hard and develop their game.

Until our Academy comes to fruition - which fingers crossed it will hand-in-hand with the new stadium - then it is the most sensible way to operate; it also why players of the calibre of Anthony Furlonge are happy to come to us. And let's not forget that the club also used the current system to its advantage in handing Femi Orenuga his FA Cup debut at 15 to ramp-up the price ahead of his move to Everton.

Last edited:
UEFA tend to have a problem with clubs who offer professional contracts to minors...

It was either Man United's acquisition of Paul Pogba or Chelsea's of Gael Kakuta that was redeemed by UEFA after it came out that the previous club had made him sign a "pre-contract" at the age of 16. When the case was brought before UEFA, they deemed that contract to be null and void, because it was technically against UEFA jurisdiction, allowing the club to get the youngster for next to nothing.

Can you explain this a bit please? In particular, what is a "pre-contract". I don't understand how such a thing is enforceable. Leaving aside the fact that you have to be 18 to enter a valid contract (hence, I suppose, the 'pre' bit) either it's a contract (enforceable) or it isn't (unenforceable). What's this attempt at an in between? It's not possible to have an 'agreement to agree' if that's what it purports to be.

Cheers

When James Dunn (who we only acquired from Fulham in July 2009) left for Arsenal in November, it wasn't long before Luke Chambers arrived from the Gunners in his place (February 2010). Chambers, a Wales U16 (and now U17) international at the time, was being trailed by almost 30 clubs, the majority of which were above us in the League structure and operated Academies. Ricky Duncan and Luke Hobbs have built up very good links with Arsenal so that any prospective young player who is not offered a scholarship, or additional years at 14 or 15, is recommended to us, and we've also obtained players from the likes of Fulham and West Ham in a similiar vein.

Thanks for that clarification... I wasn't entirely sure regarding our 'keeper swap with Arsenal but knew one had taken place.

Eastwood was 19.........i read that ngoo was 18?

Eastwood was born in '83, and signed for us in '04. Ngoo is 18 next month.

Can you explain this a bit please? In particular, what is a "pre-contract". I don't understand how such a thing is enforceable. Leaving aside the fact that you have to be 18 to enter a valid contract (hence, I suppose, the 'pre' bit) either it's a contract (enforceable) or it isn't (unenforceable). What's this attempt at an in between? It's not possible to have an 'agreement to agree' if that's what it purports to be.

Cheers

That was basically UEFA's argument... The club (Lille, I think) tried to claim that the player had signed a contract , so that Chelsea had effectively poached a player that was under contract. When the case was read, the dates didn't add up and it came out that had Lille forced in fact offered him a contract, it had to have been while he was underage and, therefor, wasn't valid.

Last edited:

This seems to be the big point, for me. Most of these kids have come to us from another Club and if they move on then it's after a relatively short time at Southend United. Now that's not to underplay the part that Ricky Duncan, Luke Hobbs & Co have played in their development but it needs to be considered before people complain that we're not selling them for millions. Until we gain Academy Status and start truly developing our own players it seems to me that the types of fees that we're getting are fair enough and are probably enough to keep the Centre of Excellence funded for the time being.

BBC in 'being wrong about lower league football' shock. He was born in 1983 and was three weeks short of his 21st birthday when we signed him.

so he was 20? on his debut?......so why's bbc putting 19 and 21?

Back