• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

And who's fault is that? Certainly not the young generation of today. No it was the 'Baby Boomers', who shouted for individual rights so loudly during the 60s and 70s and yet now these same people can't understand why a generation of brats has been produced. This is nothing new, though. The sort of people this thread is designed to criticised are already pregnant for the fourth time, unaware of who the father is, not even giving a thought to the children they are rearing, and the life that they might have. Alas, the Boomers really did **** things up, and now it seems like its too late to reverse their mistakes.

This is certainly the case, not for one second am I apportioning blame to the kids of today. They are the result of the previous generation's inability to realise that kids need to grow up nurtured but with a little healthy neglect as well. How many kids were there around with allergies when we were growing up? I knew a few people with asthma but that was about it. We used to have chickenpox parties and sleep in the same bed as our siblings to pass measles on. I vividly remember drinking water from the garden hose, and sleeping in a tent in the garden at times during the summer. We climbed trees, we fell out, if you were unlucky you broke an arm or leg - no-one sued, it was just an accident. We had playgrounds with fantastic play equipment - witches hats, that big horse thing that swung, roundabouts that went really fast. Again, if you fell off it was an ACCIDENT. You just knew that these things happened sometimes and accepted it.

I used to walk miles to get to my Guides meetings aged 13, as we'd moved to Hadleigh and still went to Guides in Eastwood - bussed to the Elms, then walked from there to St Davids via Bellhouse Road (as that was where Terry Nicholl lived and I used to think he was quite tasty). I wouldn't let my daughter do that now. Before that I used to ride my bike from Eastwood through Belfairs woods to Daws Heath to my best mate's house - not a snowball's chance in hell of that happening in now. We had a freedom that today's kids can only dream of.

Oh, and that's a load of nonsense too. Its just patently not true: It is these very people you're heralding as 'great' people that have managed to raise a society filled with disrespect and other malignant qualities. The "problem solvers", have by your own admission surely, created more problems than they have solved...

Yes, but the problem slovers aren't generally the same people as the problem causers.....

:thump:

Well techinically it is your generation that has raised us up to be like this and you generation that are working in the schools "teaching" us. Also the thing saying how noone was scared of being taken then, but everyone is now, I would have thought that the people who are doing the kidnappings etc. were probably born in the 40s 50s 60s 70s so ner. :p
ps anyone watch that thing on channel4 last night about the 2 girls?

If I had a class that shut up long enough to teach them anything I'd be a happy chappy :angel:

You clearly are not in command of your class...Be more authoritarian!!!

Nah the curriculum needs to be more interesting ;) . Or shock of shocks tailored better to kids to allow them to find what their really interested in ;).

Actually of the teachers on here . How would say IT guy of 15 years experince break into the teaching game (i hear tales that you can be employed and train at the same time ???) Advice greatly received ;)

Last edited:
Blimey, that was some reflection of years gone by. I would like to add though you forget to mention Green Shield stamps. I remember exchanging a book for 35p so we could buy fish and chips for dinner.

Nah the curriculum needs to be more interesting ;) . Or shock of shocks tailored better to kids to allow them to find what their really interested in ;).

Actually of the teachers on here . How would say IT guy of 15 years experince break into the teaching game (i hear tales that you can be employed and train at the same time ???) Advice greatly received ;)

Do you have a degree ? If so you could go through the Graduate Teacher Program, its kind of on the job training for a year then a year as an NQT then your a fully bona fide teacher.

If you dont then its a little more difficult, you could try the option of becoming a technician or IT Instructor but the money is worse than C**p and you arent a proper teacher.

Do you have a degree ? If so you could go through the Graduate Teacher Program, its kind of on the job training for a year then a year as an NQT then your a fully bona fide teacher.

If you dont then its a little more difficult, you could try the option of becoming a technician or IT Instructor but the money is worse than C**p and you arent a proper teacher.

Sadly no. HNC not so good ;) . Did work at a college for 2 years and they wanted to put me on NQT , and then push up to a degree . But sadly contract finished . I may try worming in that way (im rather all for getting out of IT really (learn to teach children something wortwhile ;) )

Actually you hit the nail on the head with personal responsibility.

No one is owed automatic respect , no one. because that means you blindly obey what your told. Those who have made something of their lives in society know this . And at the very least expressed a form of communication to ask who the other people are around them . If they want respect why should it be given . This is done by knowing another person and learning about them
IF someone thinks they are and sets out to impose it on others their deluding themselves and others .
Equally No one has the right to abuse harm or threaten another (espically those weaker or younger then them ) to impose or bring across their point.

As an adult your supposed to have learnt how to do those understand why people react in away they do.

A generation should be raised to understand themselves and the society around them . They do so by being allowed to question , yet having bounderys that are flexible (not a near totalitarian ideal of victorian England) but not almost etheric (like those of the past 15-20 years allowing almost anything with out any understanding).

Doubt is a sign of maturaty , questioning is to be encouraged . If you a person or structure cant take rational discussion or query it propably has little right to exist .

But what is wrong with assuming that anyone you meet is worthy of respect until proved otherwise? That isn't blindly obeying what you are told, you are just as free to form your own opinion over time. But it starts from a positive standpoint rather than a negative one ("I won't show you respect until you prove you deserve it") and automatically ascribes worth to people as a starting point.

But what is wrong with assuming that anyone you meet is worthy of respect until proved otherwise? That isn't blindly obeying what you are told, you are just as free to form your own opinion over time. But it starts from a positive standpoint rather than a negative one ("I won't show you respect until you prove you deserve it") and automatically ascribes worth to people as a starting point.

I agree ! Too many people who go on about lack of respect etc . Do so from a point of automatic revernce of aa type of position of social/cultral aspect not becuase they took the time to get to know the person

I think that it is agreed amongst the majority that there is a huge lack of respect for anything or anyone and i am not aiming that just at the youth of today i think it is a general trend. But i do from the experiences i have had feel that youngsters do not show enough respect, which is arguably down to the way they are brought up but I would put it more down to this PC environment that they are growing up in

To expand our understandings of what respect is and why it might be important, we might imagine a world in which nothing is respected. Without respect, little or nothing would be of value, including ourselves or our relationships. No one would have a sense of empowerment in society, nothing would have meaning and disorder would prevail.

I think that it is agreed amongst the majority that there is a huge lack of respect for anything or anyone and i am not aiming that just at the youth of today i think it is a general trend. But i do from the experiences i have had feel that youngsters do not show enough respect, which is arguably down to the way they are brought up but I would put it more down to this PC environment that they are growing up in

To expand our understandings of what respect is and why it might be important, we might imagine a world in which nothing is respected. Without respect, little or nothing would be of value, including ourselves or our relationships. No one would have a sense of empowerment in society, nothing would have meaning and disorder would prevail.

Well actually no the last 2 points you made would be technically a Nirvanic existance as ascribed by Buddhists. YOu'd also have to denote what had a true value and what didnt. Or even as you say remove all "value" as this is ascibed becuase of a dualist idea (i.e if something has worth andother thing must have none or very little). Order and chaos are not defined by economic values for instance (which i suspect is where European societies have gone wrong for the last few centuaries). There are other ways and means to live and develope beside what we have now. Its in the intrest of some that the morals and values we have now are retained .

Well actually no the last 2 points you made would be technically a Nirvanic existance as ascribed by Buddhists. YOu'd also have to denote what had a true value and what didnt. Or even as you say remove all "value" as this is ascibed becuase of a dualist idea (i.e if something has worth andother thing must have none or very little). Order and chaos are not defined by economic values for instance (which i suspect is where European societies have gone wrong for the last few centuaries). There are other ways and means to live and develope beside what we have now. Its in the intrest of some that the morals and values we have now are retained .

With out wanting to pis*s on your parade....I am an English Christian and not a Buddhist and anyway.............................

Doesn't Buddhism denote a humanistic philosophy of infinite respect for the sanctity of life and all-encompassing compassion, enables individuals to cultivate and bring forth their inherent wisdom and, nurturing the creativity of the human spirit, to surmount the difficulties and crises facing humankind and realise a society of peaceful and prosperous coexistence.

I recognise that at no other time in history has humankind experienced such an intense juxtaposition of war and peace, discrimination and equality, poverty and abundance as in the twentieth century; that the development of increasingly sophisticated military technology, exemplified by nuclear weapons, has created a situation where the very survival of the human species hangs in balance; that the reality of violent ethnic and religious discrimination presents an unending cycle of conflict; that humanity's egoism and intemperance have engendered global problems, including degradation of the natural environment and widening economic chasms between developed and developing nations, with serious repercussions for humankind's collective future.

With out wanting to pis*s on your parade....I am an English Christian and not a Buddhist and anyway.............................

Doesn't Buddhism denote a humanistic philosophy of infinite respect for the sanctity of life and all-encompassing compassion, enables individuals to cultivate and bring forth their inherent wisdom and, nurturing the creativity of the human spirit, to surmount the difficulties and crises facing humankind and realise a society of peaceful and prosperous coexistence.

I recognise that at no other time in history has humankind experienced such an intense juxtaposition of war and peace, discrimination and equality, poverty and abundance as in the twentieth century; that the development of increasingly sophisticated military technology, exemplified by nuclear weapons, has created a situation where the very survival of the human species hangs in balance; that the reality of violent ethnic and religious discrimination presents an unending cycle of conflict; that humanity's egoism and intemperance have engendered global problems, including degradation of the natural environment and widening economic chasms between developed and developing nations, with serious repercussions for humankind's collective future.

Ah maybe thats your problem (kidding ;) ) No its infinite compassion , not respect , even then its supposed to be a transcended form of love and joy that has no rational counterpart (its beyond duality ergo no judgment can be placed on it or discernment essential). The living buddha within us all (but not just Buddhis i may add Thelema , Taosim , Sufisim even Christianity and Jewdism and Islam (ssh dont tell). A unification of all parties as one yet acknowledging and accepting the individual parts ;).

Id disagree , Most of 16Ct Centuary europe (the hudread years war is a good example) , certainly cross over periods of raise and fall over various empires (we think teen violence is bad now imagine rving bands of mercenarys theifs etc coming to your town village and hacking you up as you sleep). Its simply people are more aware now

that humanity's egoism and intemperance have engendered global problems, including degradation of the natural environment and widening economic chasms

Totally agree on these points , and a reason i actually try and get people to look at relgion , as well as other soicties , even at its base its an artistic expression of that other society , but look closer at any of them and they all have similariets no matter the spins , clothings or idosenteric characterstics you may think , make them alien to your culture . When scratch the service and it seems very familair . Remember teh foundations of our morals are from Athenian Greece (most likle Platonic) , Roman , certainaly Roman and Roman Catholism, mixed with Protastant varitions . Now what are the virues of these philosphies ?

I take it that you have taken refuge in the Triple Gem???

I've read the Diamond Sutra for a while , but i prefer Wu Wei and Chen.

Every man and every woman is a star. Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law, love is the law love under will.

(Damn got to get out more he he :D :D :D)

I've read the Diamond Sutra for a while , but i prefer Wu Wei and Chen.

Every man and every woman is a star. Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law, love is the law love under will.

(Damn got to get out more he he :D :D :D)

It is certainly interesting reading.

According to the 2001 census there are 151,816 Buddhists in Britain. However, that does not take into account those who regard themselves as Buddhists as well as Christians, or Jews, or Taoists, or anything else. The census form made no provision for such people to be counted. There are also those who refuse to label themselves as 'Buddhists' because it runs counter to the principle of selflessness or egolessness. They prefer to think of themselves as free spirits. Irrespective of how many Buddhists there are in Britain today, there is unquestionably a growing interest.

Back