• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Irish_Shrimper

Ant from across the Pond
This week, Jon (Pubey), from Sheffield takes part in the exile interview. Below is Jon with Stevie Hammell and Mr Alan McCormack:

n223801083_762174_1745.jpg

1) How long have you been an exile?
A) I moved to Sheffield in November 2007, and was exiled up in Leicester from 2003-2006

2) Why did you leave Essex?
A) I got a job at the University of Sheffield, and my area (health economics) is limited to only a handful of universities in the UK, so basically I had to move to be able to begin my career. It was really tough at the time because after finishing uni and moving back home I was really settled in Southend, so the first couple of months up in Sheffield I was really really homesick, which is why I racked up a few posts on SZ! Also Mrs Pubes lives in Wigan, so it's good to be closer to her (she might disagree!).

3) Most memorable match during your time as a Southend supporter?
A) The Man Utd game - the feeling when the final whistle went was incredible, I think there were 11,000 SUFC fans who were stuck between emotions of ecstasy, shock and disbelief... we had beaten the biggest club in the world! The Bristol City game was also very memorable, it was typical Southend how we managed to drag ourselves across the line! The party on the pitch afterwards was fantastic, and we hit the town big style afterwards.

4) Whilst SUFC fans prepare their usual Saturday home routines of pub, Fish House, match, what is your Saturday routine when the Blues are playing?
A) I'm normally catching up with Mrs Pubes at the weekend so I normally try to get on Blues World for the game. If not then I tune into Soccer Saturday. I'm not really one for routines, but I'll often stick a Southend shirt on for the day if we're going around the shops.

5) Where were you when Eastwood put the ball in the Lincoln net?
A) I was in Leicester, I was in the middle of my final exams and couldn't get down for the game. I went around to a mates house who had Sky and watched it with some mates and a fellow Southend fan.

6) Favourite current and past player, and why?
A) I'm a big Simon Francis fan, when he is good, he is awesome. In the past I loved Ricky Otto and Spinner

7) What would you rather, a victory against Chelsea, followed by another big tie in the 4th round of the FA Cup, or a good league season resulting in a trip to the playoffs?
A) I'm bitter and jealous because I'm on holiday for the Chelsea game, I would probably prefer to get into the playoffs, as I think we'll make a better stab at the Championship this time if we went up. Beating Chelsea would be incredible, but I reckon we want to be in the CCC when we move into Fossetts Farm.

8) Favourite SUFC kit of all time?
A) The recent Nike ones have been good, although I wish the shade of blue was a bit lighter. The old-school Elonex ones are really nice, I had one when I was younger.

9) Have you converted many people where you are situated to the Blues' cause?
A) Mrs Pubes and her family often ask how Southend are doing, but they're all Wigan fans. At my work there are quite a few blades and wednesdayites, and quite a few colleagues support lower league teams, so whilst I can't convert them, they are at least a bit more appreciative and knowledgeable than your usual Wet Spam/Chelsea/United fans.

10) Hardest part of being exiled for you?
A) Just being homesick for all the things I miss back home. I miss going to games and heading out afterwards to Southend, and it's really difficult to make a whole new social group in a different place!

11) Who do you find to be the most annoying fans, out of Sheff Wed. Sheff Utd, and Donny, and why?
A) I know a couple of Donny fans and they are great, always complementary about last years Playoffs. Wednesday fans are generally the chavs in the city centre so I'd say them. Most of the people I work with and play footy with are Barnsley and Rotherham fans! Sheffield is a very footballing city/area which is great.

12) Yorkshire Blue has established the SZ Hall of Fame. Who in your opinion deserves a spot and why?
A) I know he has strict rules about how long ago they had to leave Southend, but I reckon Spencer Prior should be in their ASAP. Just to spite Yorkshire Blue, I would love for the might Che Wilson to get in there.
2gw6rk3.jpg

13) Sign Dan Harding, or time to give Herd a chance at LB?
A) I saw Herd against Luton in the cup and he was extremely impressive. However I think getting in Harding would be a smart decision as he is a great player. Herd could do with minutes, but he isn't ready for 90 minutes every week. Also you can't underestimate the impact that having a class LB like Harding could have on helping Herd develop and grow as a LB. On Football Manager 2009 I have Harding tutoring Herd!

14) If the news that Norwich are interested in Peter Clarke is true, would you let him go asap and get someone else in, or tie him to a desk until he signed a new contract?
A) If we let him go, there is absolutely no guarantee that we could replace him, and we don't have any decent backup (which is the main problem). I wouldn't let him go in January, but would rather he left on a free and actually have some time to get a replacement in. However ideally we would keep him and get a decent CB in as competition, for his faults, Clarke is still a great player.

15) Season expectations?
A) Top-half, but miss out on playoffs. We just haven't got the creativity to supply our forwards, and our confidence is shot.

16) If you were in Tilly's shoes for a day, is there anything you would do differently?
A) Nothing, I have full faith in Tilly and Brush.

17) Favourite club captain in your time supporting the club?
A) Kevin Maher - not the prettiest footballer, but a great servant and a real winner.

18) Away kit: Reds or Yellows?
A) YYYYYEEEEEEEELLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWSSSSS. I was at the Scunthorpe game when it was worn for the 1st time (in recent years). I'm hoping to pick one up when I'm back home over Christmas.

19) Are you a teeny tiny bit gutted to be missing out on Chelsea due to your holiday? How do you think this match will affect the rest of our season?
A) Yeah I am, it will be a fantastic day out and I'm sure it will be an excellent game. I want to see Macca give Lampard a 'Macca Special' after 20 seconds. I think win or lose, we'll have a little bit of a hangover from it, but we've had a couple of big games like this against United and Spurs, so Tilly knows how to get the team back focusing on the League. There is a lot of doom and gloom at the moment, and in some ways it is right, however we do have quality in our squad and forgetting about Chelsea, if we get a couple of wins together the league table can look very different.

20) If we could sign any player in January (Within reason!) who would you open Uncle Ron’s cheque book for?
A) I would love for us to get a creative/goal scoring/strong/quick winger in, like Lloyd Dyer for Leicester. I've always been a fan, and my Leicester supporting boss can't stop raving about him! A centre-back with a pair of eyes and the ability to walk would also be very welcome.

21) South, East or West stand?
A) West Stand, normally found in U block.

22) If the owners of SZ took part in a Hell in a cell steel cage TLC casket wrestling match, with MK Shrimper as the special guest referee, how would you imagine the match would pan out, minute by minute?
A) I think MtS wouldn't show, and would get his butler to fight instead. Cricko and McNasty would tag-team SBH (who can't see his fish, let alone fight!). I think the only thing that is sure is that 'zoners would still find something to moan about! MK Shrimper would probably join in the fight because we all know he wants to be a mod! Cricko would rig the score in his favour. I'd like to see Rusty and Slipperduke doing Celebrity Deathmatch style commentary.
cast.jpg

23) It has been documented recently on SZ that Lily Allen has changed her image. It has also been noted by Southminster Shrimper that she is no Jo Brand. What is your opinion?
A) I'd slip Lily Allen a length, something about fringes and the indie look does it for me. She does look a bit like her dad though which is a bit disturbing, but nothing a couple of turbo-shandys couldn't fix. I'm staying out of the Jo Brand debate, she has been haunting my dreams!

24) I am informed a certain someone is a big fan of this weekly column*. SZ has seen a lot of engagements in the last couple of months. When can your missus expect the big question? :)
A) Haha - good things come to those who wait!

*Disclaimer: This statement is 99% likely to be untrue.

25) Who should win the accolade of Poster of the year and why?
A) I've always been a fan of Yorkshire Blue, he cracks me up, and talks a lot of sense, I've only ever won a couple of debates against him!

Big thanks to Jon for taking the time out to answer the above. In a special twist, Backpacking Shrimper comes next on the interview thread, with his Christmas Special coming soon!

Last edited:
Don't I get to play in the Death Match? :'(

Although if it meant getting body slammed by mcnasty, maybe for the best...

A) I think MtS wouldn't show, and would get his butler to fight instead. Cricko and McNasty would tag-team SBH (who can't see his fish, let alone fight!).

Objection your honour!

Rusty as they might be, I can still call upon a limited range of Jiu Jitsu skills from my teen street-fighting years and would also point out how even a rabid dog could show only half the savage determination of someone about to be tag-teamed by Cricko and McNasty...

Matt's butler on the other hand would tuck me up like a kipper.

Yours still very scared by the thought of either scenario.

Objection your honour!

Rusty as they might be, I can still call upon a limited range of Jiu Jitsu skills from my teen street-fighting years and would also point out how even a rabid dog could show only half the savage determination of someone about to be tag-teamed by Cricko and McNasty...

Matt's butler on the other hand would tuck me up like a kipper.

Yours still very scared by the thought of either scenario.

That would hardly work, you are not very good at spotting any sort of Fish.

Back