• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Spaceman Spiff

Attila the Admin ⭐
Staff member
Well, I was expecting more today.

It had been a great day - met Matt the Shrimp at 8:30am in Lewisham for a fry up breakfast at Maggie's in Lewisham (can heartily recommend it, if anyone is in the area). We pored over the Grand National runners and riders - my early tip of Kelami (based on a Sun story yesterday that compiled a photofit of the likely winner from the mixed features of winners from the past 25 years and showed Kelami's jockey to be the most likely) was swiftly blown out of the water by the Racing Post form guide. Matt came up with two much more sensible choices of Le Duc and Zabenz.

We set off, well fed and watered, in the car heading for Boots and Laces to watch the U18s final match of the season against Pompey. The sun was shining and everything was well in the World.

Arriving at Boots and Laces bang on 11, we took our places on the touchline with Rob Craven of the Little Gazette and a couple of other Zoners that it was great to meet in person.

The yoofs played with purpose, skill and commitment and made their Permiership opponents look very ordinary indeed. We were stronger all over the park - no surprise then that we were at opposite ends of the table to Pompey. Johnny Herd at left back looked excellent and composed, with an effortless long throw that caused havoc in the Pompey box every time he used it. Tom Hopkins at centre back put in a man of the match display with some assured defending and a goal in each half, and Peggy Lokendo looked a really lively prospect up front with an excellent touch and close control. Plenty to look forward to in the future, well done Ricky Duncan! A minor panic occurred on the touchline part way through the game when Matt realised he'd left his ticket at home - but a quick call to the ticket office and all was sorted out - phew.

As the match came to an end, Matt and I made our way in the car to park in Colchester Road, so we could go to Hills. A fiver each way on both of Matt's picks and my betting cherry had been popped. Five minutes later and we were in the beer garden at the Spread in glorious sunshine with Barry Harris, Leeboy, Chadded, Cricko, MrB and others... even my Dad popped in with an embarrassing picture of me and my brother as kids, which he duly showed everyone. Cheers Dad. Undeterred, so far it had been the perfect day!

The clock ticked round to 2:30 and it was time to go to the ground. On a day this good, everyone was in high spirits and anticipating a good win. Barnsley would be under strength, we were without Eastwood as well but the feeling was we would win comfortably anyway - perhaps his absence would be a bonus if others took it upon themselves to fill the scoring role.

As the first 15 minutes unfolded I felt we looked pretty good. The crowd were up for it, the players didnt look too nervous and Barnsley were not really troubling us.

However, as has so often happened this season, the opposition scored first against the run of play. The ball had definately gone out on the east stand side, but the lino didnt raise his flag and credit to Barnsley they did exactly what you should do - they played to the whistle. We didnt. The cross came in, there were no challenges and Nardiello had the freedom of the 6 yard box to pick his spot. In my opinion Flavs had no chance. The rest of the half was fairly scrappy until the worst happened, Barnsley scored again. Once again, it hadnt really been as a result of sustained Barnsley pressure or a well worked move - the ball flew in direct from a corner kick. Flavs, you've dropped a bollock there mate big style. Whats more, Barnsley also tought our corner kickers how to beat the first man. When was the last inswinging Southend corner that went to the far post? Perhaps not long ago in reality but its such a rare occurrence it certainly feels like it.

Half time was greeted with boos and we were crestfallen. Still, with any luck a half time rocket would see the Blues attack what was, after all, one of the worst defences in the league and we would get the goals we needed.

No chance I'm afraid, no sooner had the second half started (at least it seemed that way, peering between my fingers) and Barnsley scored again. Game over. Season over, surely.

So, what now? Well, undoubtedly we have not been good enough this year. Mistakes have been made by the management and these will be debated all summer. What I am certain of though is that all the right people are in charge at the club, top to bottom. This relegation, if thats what it ends up being, will be new territory for Steve Tilson as a manager and I'm sure he knows in his heart of hearts where he's gone wrong this season, so I dont need to go into it here.

One thing is certain though in my opinion, and that is that the transfer policy which had been red hot throughout his tenure deserted him this season. All the good picks of previous years had led to our successes - but this year I'm afraid a few wronguns came in - as well as some who will go on to be excellent players for the club I'm sure.

So my feeling is this. We could stay up - it would be a miracle, but it can be done. Lets enjoy the last few games of the season, because it will be a long summer. Tilly can go away, mentally drained I'm sure, recharge those batteries, reflect on what went wrong and come back renewed next year.

Whatever division we are in then, I'm certain we will be a stronger team. What's more, I hadn't expected this Championship season so soon and its been a great journey win, lose or draw. I think we'll be back very soon. Meanwhile, I'll still be getting behind the Shrimpers and loving every minute.

COME ON YOU SHRIMPERS!!

Whats more, Barnsley also tought our corner kickers how to beat the first man. When was the last inswinging Southend corner that went to the far post?

I sit in the Upper right by that corner flag and Reid slipped as he took it and mis-hit the corner completely. I don't think you can plan for stuff like that.

Quality post Spiff, shame I was too busy to leave the bar and look at the sexy photo.

Hard though it is to imagine, he looked positively angelic as a kid!

:angel:

Spiff - sorry for being a miserable sod on the way home. It was like the Yeovil home game all over again, wasn't it? Great day, sunny weather, all out in garden of the Spread soaking up the sun and the atmosphere, and the team bottling it once again in a high-pressure game.

:cry:

Oh well. As you say, the youth team look great - perhaps the best they've ever been since most of us started supporting SUFC. That provides a fair slice of comfort.

Oh, and sorry about my National tips. The bookies would have been leaping for joy after that race - absolute bedlam. Hey ho.

Matt

Hard though it is to imagine, he looked positively angelic as a kid!

I thought the pic was of his two sisters:D

So, what now? Well, undoubtedly we have not been good enough this year. Mistakes have been made by the management and these will be debated all summer. What I am certain of though is that all the right people are in charge at the club, top to bottom. This relegation, if thats what it ends up being, will be new territory for Steve Tilson as a manager and I'm sure he knows in his heart of hearts where he's gone wrong this season, so I dont need to go into it here.

One thing is certain though in my opinion, and that is that the transfer policy which had been red hot throughout his tenure deserted him this season. All the good picks of previous years had led to our successes - but this year I'm afraid a few wronguns came in - as well as some who will go on to be excellent players for the club I'm sure.

So my feeling is this. We could stay up - it would be a miracle, but it can be done. Lets enjoy the last few games of the season, because it will be a long summer. Tilly can go away, mentally drained I'm sure, recharge those batteries, reflect on what went wrong and come back renewed next year.

Whatever division we are in then, I'm certain we will be a stronger team. What's more, I hadn't expected this Championship season so soon and its been a great journey win, lose or draw. I think we'll be back very soon. Meanwhile, I'll still be getting behind the Shrimpers and loving every minute.

COME ON YOU SHRIMPERS!!

I'm inclined to agree. I think a lot of remarks were made around Christmas time that aren't being remembered here. Countless people quipped that they could take relegation if the team put up a fight to stay up. Given that we have actually left the relegation zone having been bottom at the turn of the year, it's fair to say that we've put up a fight. We lost a game to a freak goal and without our top scorer which will happen at times.

We were favourites to be relegated and favourites to finish bottom. That we have got over 40 points is something of an achievement. If we can stay up, it will be an excellent achievement. If we go down by a couple of points, we won't have been far off the mark.

Tilson's still young in the management game and, in fairness, has pretty much got most of his coaching experience at league two or lower. Making mistakes at this level for a coach at his level is to be expected. I suppose the real challenge is how he learns to cope with them.

Whilst I feel it was clear we had enough talent across the squad to stay up, we had too much reliance on one source of goals for too long and needed a secondary attack line. I would hope, should we come up again, that we would work more on varying our play. If we had gelled the defence early on and created this second threat, I think we would have been safe right now. Much easier said than done though.

There's a lot of cynicism over how we will react to the relegation. Assumign we lose, probably, Eastwood and Hammell as well as a few fringe players, I think we'll have a very solid unit for next season that could flourish if we manage to replace Eastwood with a solid goalscorer or a genuine partnership.

We were favourites to be relegated and favourites to finish bottom.

We weren't, Col U were, and to be honest I think that's maybe what hurts a lot of people on here the most, although the reasons as to why they have swum while we have (maybe) sunk have been discussed to death already!

We weren't, Col U were, and to be honest I think that's maybe what hurts a lot of people on here the most, although the reasons as to why they have swum while we have (maybe) sunk have been discussed to death already!

I think that depends on where you went. On the markets I've been trading, before the season had started, we were favourites on both counts.

Thankfully I sold on my bet on us to stay up before the Leeds game but got on Luton quite heavily some time back.

:cool:

Back