• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As shrimpers and prawns are pretty much the same thing, I'm disappointed we've never tried "Prawners".
That would have made our friend Roy Keane at Ipswich even happier!

the mighty blues first, the shrimpers second for me, dont give a monkeys about other clubs, when im at roots hall on a saturday afternoon there is only one team that plays in blue.
i love being a shrimper, but lets face it , its a pretty lame nickname!

on a complete and total thread hijack, does it make anyone else laugh that the tags for this thread ( and every other thread) incldues "matt lockwood is going to sign"

guffaw...

So glad you brought this up Robbo, Southend are the Shrimpers, there are plenty who are the Blues. We're Shrimpers first and foremost and Blues second.

fek me remember this time, this 100% sums it up for me! shrimpers its who we are why do we as a club insist on being happy to loose our identity?

do you think the everton chairman would just oust th enikname toffees and call then the blue!!! yer the fans would buy that one!!

What Leigh-On-Sea?

To me we can/do have several nicknames, Shrimpers/Blues/Seasiders/United, Shrimpers is more unique though.

Can't green you for this but it made me laugh.

They're the shrimps, we're the shrimpers. I think this means we're going to :net: then catch (kick) them all (including the ball) into our nets and cook them!

you might not tknow this ,and im sure canader SHRIMPER will confirm also, when the shrimping boats go out, or should I say boat now days!! they dont just work withing a 100 yard part of the thames, the boat will actually go out into the estuary and yes there are (well where) mant shrimps within the thames estuary, leigh is a natural creek so thats why the boats harbour there, im sure you can catch a shrimp in southend shoebury benfleet just as easily as you can in Leigh

Last edited:
It has to be The Shrimpers. Blues is too generic. I'm sure we've had this discussion before but I find it strange that we are The Shrimpers yet have a shrimp as our mascot and appearing on the badge. This is kinda like Brighton (Seagulls) having a fish on their badge, Crystal Palace (Eagles) having a mouse on their badge or Norwich (canaries) having a bag of birdseed as a mascot. The hunter not the hunted :unsure:.

Dear all. I think you know my views by now. Whilst the bible (the History of the Blues by Peter Mason) has a line about the Blues being possibly called the Shrimpers in the early days of the club and a cartoon of old man Shrimper which looks pre war, I can tell you that calling the team the Shrimpers is pretty recent. I asked my late father when it started to be used if he had ever heard the Blues called the Shrimpers and he said he hadn't. He called them the Blues and he can remember going to David Jack's first game in charge (a reserve game on a Wednesday) in 1934. He said the supporters club badge had a Shrimp on their badges and the club had a shrimp on the club badge.
THowever TBH we can call ourselves what we want. Crystal Palace were the Glaziers until the 1970s until they "rebranded" as the eagles. However I think Shrimpers is pretty lame. Question. If we rebranded now what would be a really good name.
I attach an election leaflet for Alfred "Gonger" Frost for the local election in 1946. He was in the 1906 team and was one of the amateurs that moved from Southend Athletic to become a professional. He was also from a local Southend fishing family. It's pretty clear what he called the team.

View attachment 1222View attachment 1224View attachment 1223

Back