• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This is surely a very sick joke. For anyone who has admiration for Jobson, please consider the following:-
Had you had your business crushed, home repossessed and your wife and chidren rendered homeless with all the mental anguish that involves, due to Mr Jobsons refusal to pay you for work done, you might now have a differing view.
Please also consider the consequential victims of Jobson.
Will anyone now compensate them for their money after all these years with paying them what was rightfully theirs in the first place ?

I could not begin to think how I would now feel if my money had been stolen from me by Jobson which he then sunk into property and other investments which have increased in value by 10 fold or more and become inherited by others.

I would agree that civil crime pays and that we condone fraud and theft in this country.

In a word Mr Jobson was: Amoral

Irate Ian - I don't disagree with the points that you and others make. I've tried to give a balanced view of him - it's not totally black and white with Vic Jobson. He really loved the club, but he wound too many people up in the process with the obnoxious way he treated EVERYONE - from staff, managers, players, external suppliers, through to just about everyone. But that was the sort of character he was. He did love the club and he saved us from worse - going out of business. That's the point I was trying to make.

The reason my family (including my harmless 85 year-old grandfather who could not really have been described as Hitler's Youth having been on the opposing side of Hitler in WW2!) and our neighbours (just for being our neighbours) were banned was precisely because my father was owed money for helping the club and had the temerity to try to claim it back through the courts. Incidentally, he didn't get it all back in the end, but got a lot of it. (I was partly unhappy at the time that Vic was using club funds to fight a pointless battle.) I guess we were lucky and didn't suffer like some of the families you and Mick have described.

I cannot agree with what LondonBlue has said. Treating businesses like that is not justified IMHO. I think it is appalling the way he treated local businesses and the fans. He was not a particularly pleasant man and loved nothing more than a confrontation. He was someone you would want on your side rather than against you.

That's the point. He DID do what he did for SUFC - even if you (or I or anyone else) didn't like his methods.

To put him in the same or similar camp to Anton Johnson is wrong, IMHO. Whether you like them or not (and I don't) Vic Jobson's business dealings were "legal". How many large companies do you know who delay payment and drive small businesses into the ground? It doesn't make it right of course. But it is legal. Businesses should do the best to protect themselves by having good credit practices and asking for some money up front - especially if they knew what Vic was like.

The point is - he drove a hard bargain, for the good of the club. He didn't do what Anton Johnson did. As one previous poster put it, look at what Anton Johnson did to Rotherham and Scarborough - it doesn't compare. Vic's methods - although morally questionable at times - helped the club. I'm not saying that was right, but that was the same person who had saved us from what Anton Johnson was doing and from the club disappearing altogether.

To answer another poster, no I am not Dave Jobson - I don't think even Vic would have thrown out his brother. However, I must say that if ever criticism is totally unjustified then it is what is levelled at Dave - just by association. He is a totally different man to his brother. Having sat with him at games for about 10 years or so, I believe he is a very nice man (from what I knew of him). Wasn't quite sure how he and Vic had the same blood. Please everyone - leave Dave alone. He has done a lot of good work for the club and (IMHO) doesn't have any of Vic's characteristics. It's rather like a witch hunt - Vic's dead, so let's attack his brother. Not fair.

Last edited:
Weakest Link

Did you tell him he was "the weakest link" too? :p

I don't think Anne Robisnon had risen to fame in those days. Would have been a nice retort though.

If there is any life at all after death, Vics ears will be ringing.

I have related this story to many I know over the years, historical facts can never be changed.

The original thread seemed to re-write or gloss over the basic issue: Victor Jobson is, was and remains a 100% Crook.

V Jobson Decd - Crook

OK I accept that Victor Jobson was less of a crook than other crooks and fraudsters.

But still crooks nethertheless and thieving less than the next crook is not
exactly a recomendation to their professionalism as dishonorable cretins.

Ughhh !

Those words Rubins and (Vic) Jobson , just put me off my breakfast.

As for Anton Johnson - I was living abroad ( pre- internet days) when that all happened so I probably missed the worst bit . I seem to recall reading since that Ron Martin had some business relationship with Johnson and they were involved at a time Doncaster Rovers were in difficulty .Anyone know any more ?

And also, is it true that RM and VJ were neighbours ?

Glamourising Crooks

Why is it that some people glamourise notorious crooks ?

Is it just that we remember them more for their bad traits ?

Why do good honest people become overlooked ?

Is it the notoriety and the interesting conversional subjects, and that hard working good people go un-noticed.

I heard on Radio 5 recently a quote

"The best football club Chairmen are those who do not make it into the press".

Comment awaited.

OK I accept that Victor Jobson was less of a crook than other crooks and fraudsters.

But still crooks nethertheless and thieving less than the next crook is not
exactly a recomendation to their professionalism as dishonorable cretins.

Ughhh !

And also, is it true that RM and VJ were neighbours ?

Didnt RM ban VJ from Roots Hall after he bought Southend form him? It may have been for his own safety. Still became not long after selling up VJ did everyone a favour and died.

That is suggested by others, but there is not necessarily any guilt by mere association.

Maybe Anton Johnson himself should be asked the question, unless any SZ ers
know differently.

I remember going to an away game. Think it was torquay and was driving home after defeat thinking is it all worth it . I see jobson driving his jag and he notices my shirt and gave me the filthiest of looks. So when we got stuck next to him in traffic a bit later i told him to fu ck off for the sake of the club. It wasnt too much later that he actually did.

I was actually doing my Work Experience at Roots Hall over the exact time thar Vic began selling to Martin Dawn (May 1998) and was called into the staff meeting along with everyone else (strangely!) when the deal was announced.

At the time, although Vic was still there, much of the ill-feeling was against JA, who, incidentally, still attends every AGM. JA's working contribution seemed to purely be styaing glued to thre Ceefax Cricket pages to see how his boy was getting on!!

With the new regime, we also can't forget the reign of Joh Main as chairman. As man who seemed to have great PR, but didn't know the first thing about economically running a football club of SUFC's stature. The incredible appointment of Peter Storrie as Chief Executive the defining point. Indeed, the Club recieved a winding-up order during this time (as recently as July 2000), which often seems to be over-looked.

There was uproar amongst some fans when Main was ousted, but it proved a very crucial moment in our history.

When Ron took over running the Club, I feel he took Dave Webb back mainly because he was the only manager who could come in and discard the Clubs better players (the big earners) for next-to-nothing fees and not get slated! You have to rememner that Alan Little, as a manager, wasn't doingtoo badly at the time.

I never like Jobson since I moved to England from USA in 1993, I thought he a a*****, looking at the history, I wish Ron Martin was chairman in 1991-92 or 1993-94 season otherwise Webb or Fry would'nt walk out on us when we are closer to Premiership!

Back