• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sean 2

Director
At the tender age of eight my father took me to the Hall.The waft of cigarrette smoke,old boys with their collars turned up,those misty,freezing winter nights warmed by tea and hot pie.Stepping away from the wall running along the front of the west stand so that i could see over it,i would wonder how this Ron Pountney chap could run so fast seeing as he was balding and looked what i thought was fifty. I can remember the banter with old fans and players during a game and the players would smile or wink as they came close or took a throw-in.I realised just there that this game was so very personable and why fans talk of "our club". I can remember as a young man at the hall our meteoric rise through the divs.Local newspapers hailing the fact a local lad Tilson had been spotted at Witham Town.Standing on the north bank without my father now,screaming DAVID WEBB"S YELLOW ARMY continuously till the throat gave way.Goading the away support who seemed miles awy in the south bank.I saw good honest pro's working their nutts off.Martin,Butler,Clarkey,Mcdonough,Cusack etc all players i were proud to support.Getting as far as we did in the league and tasting the big time was a dream.watching colly,otto,etc was sublime. Then the moneymen rolled into town.Our players,manager walking off to sunsets that were Spurs,Brum,Forest et all ripped the club's heart apart,and more importantly,team spirit.Yep,an important factor for any success(see wimbledon of same era).Heartbreak on the terraces and on the pitch as the club hit emergency landing near the foot of the football league.Famous/unknown managers tried and failed.Then in walked Steve Tilson. Confidant not flash,honest,approachable,one of the lads,typically Essex.As a player liked to keep things simple,fairly tricky,great cross and a good worker.Bloody dependable.My first reactions?REALLY hope things go well.Well,football became enjoyable to watch as his team began to pass and move.certain players became passers not lumpers.Ah,NOW we could play!Soon the score reflected our play as we passed to get around teams.Players soon enjoyed turning defences around. Meanwhile,Tilly and Brush brought their team together.Sir Steve with his jokey style and Brush acting dad,players found this FUN.No need to ruck their players in front of supporters,speak about it later was the policy.Show faith in team selection,players return that with their performances. Steve tilson has been there and done it and got the t shirt when it comes to anything southend.He DOES actually know better than anyone there.I for one wondered where the tilly rollercoaster was taking us before the Man Ure game.I can honestly say that the result doesn't suprise me.No,really.Steve tilson wont take me by suprise ever again.Brace yourselves 'zoners,tilly's got the bubble going AGAIN!

Spot on, yet another great post in a week of great posts!

smile.gif
smile.gif

A really good read...Brought back many a happy memory.

Once you get the hand of a paragraphing I feel you could go onto become one of SZ's top posters
laugh.gif

Splendid post that should be put on the front page of Shrimperzone.

Well done!

Back