• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mcshrimper

Match report from yesterday’s game.

Collis – seemed very confident and was communicating well with the back four but had no chance with the goal which went in off the post from Guy’s excellent strike.  Collis’ handling was good throughout as was his distribution.
Collis pulled off a fantastic reflex save to deny Hughes and also had to be on his toes to collect an under-hit back pass from Sodje with Opoka bearing down on him – luckily the resulting free-kick was hit high and wide.
From what I saw, Collis will be a genuine challenge for Flavs this season, no doubt.

Wilson – was generally comfortable throughout the game and won most of his headers and a fair few tackles.  Didn’t really notice too much of Che but he didn’t appear to do much wrong.

Sodje – it was lovely to see Efe back after his injury but it wasn’t a vintage performance.  He made some useful tackles and his usual trademark clearing headers however made two mistakes which could have easily cost goals.  The first was when he was robbed trying to shepherd the ball out to touch, which resulted in Lawson (of all people!) making a fantastic last ditch save when Guy (I think) was one-on-one with Collis.  The second was his poor back pass as mentioned above.  
There were a few other ‘dodgy moments’ involving Efe but also some excellent covering tackles, which would indicate that psychologically Efe is over his injury.
To be fair and to put this performance into perspective he hasn’t played in ages and was playing with Clark and Collis for the first time.  IMO Efe will need a few weeks to get himself fit and ready for Championship football.

Clarke – a decent performance by our new signing.  Communicated well with the team and showed good positioning.  Clarke often opted to hit long balls from the back (the Southend style of old) to try and hit the front two, which rarely paid off.  Maybe shorter passing would have kept possession and given the team a chance to build from the back.
During the game, Clarke managed to annoy Hughes and Wilson (who was a dirty bugger for most of the game) and a few others which culminated in a bit of ‘hand-bags’ on the touch line (in front of the dug-out).  Clarke was guiding a ball out under pressure from a couple of Col Ewe players when Hughes come flying through taking player, ball and bits of dugout.  Luckily Clarke was not injured and jumped up to confront Hughes.  Inevitably, most of the players and coaching staff become involved with a bit of pushing and pointing etc.  It only lasted a couple of minutes and resulted in the ref, Mr G Ward having a chat with Clarke/Hughes.
Arguably, this incident, and a few other dodgy tackles on Clarke (one of which resulted in a booking) was due to his effectiveness (positioning, skill, strength etc.).
Clarke made some excellent tackles and clearing headers which were made easier by his positioning and pace.  Clark and Sodje managed to contain the lump that is Iwelumo for most of the game.  
For me Clark certainly done enough to warrant his inclusion in the first team - Prior must be on borrowed time.

Hunt – similar to Che really.  Done his job well defensively and got forward to support the attack when given the opportunity.  A solid right back, but to be honest probably won’t get much of a look-in with the first team as Francis is a more skilful player who is better at getting forward.

Lawson – played very well and showed some good strength on the ball.  Lawson has really developed from last season.  He linked up well with Cowley and Smith and also Hooper.  
Lawson was involved in some nice intricate passing, particularly during the first half and also made a fantastic saving tackle to prevent a likely goal.  He also managed a decent shot which flew just wide of the target.
A useful player to have as a back-up striker/winger, but it will probably take another season before he is ready to play regularly in the first team.

Smith – in all honesty I had forgotten how skilful and industrious Jay is on the ball.  I had also forgotten his fantastic vision with his longer passing which enabled him to find Hooper and Paynter on a number of occasions.
It’s nice to have a player like Jay in the team, and it would be nice if he got more first team action.  But, as mentioned on more than one occasion at the minute we need a strong, box-to-box player who can break up play and gain possession.  Whilst Jay was able to put the foot in and win the ball, which he was able to do, this part of his game doesn’t come naturally to him.

Cowley – a nice, tidy little player who seemed to form a decent partnership with Smith in the centre mid position.  Cowley is the type of player that nips around the park, picking pockets, and links the play up well.  Another young player with good technique.  On the downside, he is very small (shorter than Smith I think), and physically underdeveloped.  On occasions he was knocked off the ball too easily.  Cowley has good short range passing however did not appear able to make an incisive pass forward, instead opting for a sideward pass.
A good little player who could be one for the future if he can beef up a bit and improve his strength.

Cole – made a few good runs in the first half, utilising his pace to good effect.  Cole could have scored a cracking goal after some good interplay by Cowley and Smith set him free down the left.  After beating his defender, the ball bounced up onto Cole’s right foot and the shot flew over the crossbar.
Went down with the customary ankle injury during the second half but after a bit of treatment was fine.
I would continue to start with Gower, but would be tempted to bring Cole on midway through the second half to test tired legs.  

Paynter – very strong and made some excellent runs, pulling defenders with him and making space, which unfortunately wasn’t used to good effect.  Paynter is the sort of player who will chase lost causes and put himself about a bit.  Managed to put a decent cross in from the right which warranted a goal.
Paynter didn’t really have many shots on goal (I’m not sure if he had any to be honest) but I get the impression that his game is more focused on bringing others into play.  Paynter held the ball up well and proved to be a pain in the backside for both centre backs.
I don’t doubt that Paynter will be a good signing, but he may possibly need to be content with coming off the bench for the first part of this season.  I don’t feel that Paynter will ever be a prolific striker due to his style of play, and I feel he will need time and be given patience by fans.

Hooper – in the first few minutes Hooper had a great chance to open the scoring.  He latched onto a decent pass from Smith and run some 30 yards, showing great strength (for an 18 year old) and pace – his shot brought a decent save from the Ewes keeper, Gerkin.
Throughout the game Hooper looked very comfortable and always wanted the ball.  As Tilly has said Hooper knows where the goal is and this was clearly evident on yesterday’s performance.
Hooper’s movement and work-rate was also good to watch and like Paynter managed to pull defenders out of position.
It would be interesting to see how Hooper would cope with Championship football but IMO, this season would be too soon.
At 18 I don’t see any good reason why Hooper can’t be as good as Freddy.

Chioma – Chioma came on in the second half and played on the left wing.  He played OK and seemed to have good pace.  Chioma showed that he also had some decent close control which he used to make some space for himself in the opposition box, however his shot was wide of the target.  In fairness he was perhaps trying to impress too much and opted on a few occasions to go on mazy runs, taking on too many players which often resulted in losing possession.  Chioma did manage to get one or two crosses in of reasonable quality.
Maybe worth another look.

Overall the team played very well, particularly in the first half and was fuelled by the industry of Smith and Cowley in centre mid producing some nice football, and linking up very well with other players.  I wouldn’t say the result was a fair reflection of the game – maybe a draw would have been.

Positives to draw from this game would be the performances of Collis, Smith, Lawson and Hooper.  Another would be Sodje’s appearance – hopefully he can quickly get himself fit and get rid of the rustiness.

All in all a good match, which was made better by free admission.  
smile.gif

Great stuff McShrimper...

With respect to Chioma, you say he's worth another look. How does he compare to the likes of JCR, Gower and Cole? After all, we don't need somone just to make up the numbers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Clarke – a decent performance by our new signing. Communicated well with the team and showed good positioning.

I don't think we would'nt lose to Palarse & QPR if Clarke play at the back!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Murkey_Mouse @ Aug. 17 2006,15:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Clarke – a decent performance by our new signing.  Communicated well with the team and showed good positioning.

Exactly if he can keep the might of Col Ewe's reserves down to a mere single goal, then had he played against Championship leaders Palace and QPR then we would have kept clean sheets for sure.

Tilson out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Murkey_Mouse @ Aug. 17 2006,15:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Clarke – a decent performance by our new signing.  Communicated well with the team and showed good positioning.

Isn't that a double negative?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ Aug. 17 2006,15:12)]With respect to Chioma, you say he's worth another look. How does he compare to the likes of JCR, Gower and Cole? After all, we don't need somone just to make up the numbers.
Chioma had a fair amount of pace - not as much as JCR or Cole but more than Gower.  He can certainly get up and down well and wasn't shaken off the ball easily (like Cole).  In my eyes there were more similarities to Bentley, and maybe Tilly/Brush feels he could be the ‘Bentley-type’ player we need.

I wouldn't like to say whether he has the quality to play in the Championship.  He didn't seem over keen to pass the ball but this was probably more to do with the situation i.e. trying to catch the eye and earn a contract/unfamiliar with team mates etc.  Or could this be Chioma’s style of play? – driving runs.  All well and good if there’s an end product, but on yesterday’s display he will upset his team mates. In fact this happened when one of his mazy runs took him into the box (I’m not sure if it was purely skill, a few handy ricochets also helped the cause).  Hooper was in acres of space on the right calling for the pass, but Chioma had the shot.  Hooper let out a scream of frustration shouting “w%&ker!”  I don’t think even JCR would quite match Chioma in the hogging department.  

But, like Moussa, it will probably take a few more games to establish whether he will cut the mustard - by then he should have had enough opportunity to get to know his team mates and build an understanding with them.

At the minute, I would still choose our existing wingers over Chioma though.  It would have been interesting to see how he played in a more central role though.

Thanks McShrimper.

Nice to see Hooper's doing all he can to make our trialists feel at home. Perhaps Sodje's tackle on him has convinced him it's the Southend way to dish it out to any new players looking for a contract!

That or he's an impressionable Big Brother fan...

Mcshrimper tala

for your time and effort, very informative and interesting read :

will sleep like a babe now

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly's Prodical Son @ Aug. 17 2006,17:16)]Isn't that a double negative?
Nope I thinks it's double drivel!  
tounge.gif

But back to sensible things.  Great report mc well done for spending all that time creating it.

I know people will say boo hiss give the bloke a chance etc but the little bits I've seen of Paynter & your report do make me wonder about the theory behind his purchase.  Basically we've only got one goalscorer in Fredy.  Last season we had both the Goat & Wayney, both who could chip in at that level with enough to take a bit of pressure of him.  Paynter appears to be basically a little professional big bloke in that he'll run around a lot & create space for Fredy, but is that really what we actually need.

We've signed a possible super player at this level in Ricketts but it's a known fact that he's injury prone & let's stick to that, ignoring his alleged lack of interest etc which may or may not be true.  So taking the injury point the 3rd striker really needs to weigh in with a few goals on the occasions & probable more than bit parts he plays.  Lets compare Paynters 1st appearance with the Goat's.  Both pretty short at around 15 mins but a major difference, the Goat scored.  Ok so Paynter had'nt met the team before that, but he didn't really look like scoring at QPR or apparently in the reserves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he's not a bad player and Tilly's obviously seen something in him.  But for £200k I can't really see where he fits for us at Championship level, whereas at L1 level I'm sure his style would be fine.  Hull could afford him as they had any number of strikers to mix & match, plus much greater resources as well & to me £200k is a huge part of our budget & at the moment I can't quite see where he fits in.  I could understand a larger amount on a similar lower league player who'd got a better goal record as IMHO that's what we need, another contributor apart from Fredy.

I hope to be proved wrong as Paynter scores 15+ this season, but somehow I just can't see it.

I'd equate Ricketts to the Goat, as the experienced international with a proven goal-scoring record who probably won't be about when it gets a bit nippy in the middle of winter.

Paynter is more like the replacement for Gray and I'd be fairly confident that Paynter could match Wayne Gray's tally last year of 6 from open play.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 18 2006,12:58)]I'd equate Ricketts to the Goat, as the experienced international with a proven goal-scoring record who probably won't be about when it gets a bit nippy in the middle of winter.
Erm!  
rock.gif

- Not sure 45 minutes of a Svengali friendly counts as an experienced international.
- Proven goalscorer?  In the last 3 1/2 years he's scored 10 goals, admittedly he's only had 52 starts + 46 subs in that time.  But those lack of games begs the question asked on other threads.  Who last the last unfit striker we signed, with a similar record of about 10 goals in 3+ years to his name & not many appearances each season?  Yep, you know it, Graeme (One Leg) Jones.    
biggrin.gif

- Mmm. Bermuda or Essex in December.  Tough call!  
wow.gif

He's experienced and he is an international. As you know better than most, the legendary Graeme Jones was a proven goalscorer (it must be true as Rob Newman told us) on the basis of a single season, so there is no reason why I can't describe Ricketts as the same.

Thats not to say I don't have doubts about the signing of Ricketts, but I don't think doubting the wisdom of signing Ricketts makes Paynter a bad signing. I suspect Paynter's wages are less - if both are on 2 year deals but Ricketts is on £2K a week more then they basically work out as costing the same.

ps How is Graeme Jones faring this season?

As I said, I expect Paynters a decent enough footballer but, I just feel that with reasonable doubt over the number of games Ricketts is likely to play you might want a 3rd striker who has a better eye for goal & the £200k might have been put towards this.  Time will tell!

The Greatest Living Centre Forward has finally (I believe) given into the fact that he's a crock with one leg shorter than the other, can't even hack it in the Scottish 18th Division in front of 15 dogs & one bloke with a can of Special Brew and retired!    
laugh.gif
  But no doubt he'll appear in non league somewhere else.
wink.gif

Might I suggest you look at Paynter's goals from last season and the season before? That may assuage some fears.

I think it's important to realise that we have limited purchasing power in this division. We will not find a player capable of scoring at least 15 goals. Anyone we get will be a gamble. At least we have someone young with ability and potential, as well as being suited to the structure of our side.

As I have been saying for months, and will continue to say, we will score goals at this level. Not as many as last year, but certainly enough to stay in the division. Our problem is the centre of defence. We can talk about forwarda and attacking play until we are blue in the face, but if we need to score two goals every game just to get a point then we will be get relegated.

I agree with Neil. People love banding about the terms '15-goal striker' and '10-goal striker' but the top scorer in this division last season didn't even hit twenty. If you look at the teams that fought to stay up, many of them didn't even have one ten goal player whereas Freddy will almost certainly reach this figure. Far more important right now is making sure that our defence don't give the strikers too much work to do.

Back