• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oh dear, the wheels have well and truly fallen off the hype train. Have we under estimated Ruiz or over hyped Joshua? I thought Povetkin was more likely to smash Joshua than Ruiz.

I don’t like women’s boxing but another corrupt score card makes Katie Taylor the undisputed champ even though they lost.

Josh Kelly got a draw.

Not been a good year for Hearn.

Bet Wilder is regretting announcing his next two opponents lol!

Well, the landscape has shifted slightly now, hasn’t it. Just think, in less than a years time, we could potentially see Ruiz vs Ortiz in a battle to be called Undisputed Heavyweight Champion Of The World. How did that happen?

In truth, this defeat had been coming for a long time. It has always been clear that AJ’s chin is weak, and his stamina is poor. However, it took the stars aligning for Ruiz to put him to the sword. It’s not enough to suggest that Ruiz was simply better (although he was), without taking into account the other factors.

- Firstly, this was the first time AJ had fought away from The UK. Plenty of boxers struggle to go abroad and win fights, and America is as hard a place as any. I think the occasion definitely got to him. Everything is different, from the drug testing to the atmosphere. As daft as it may sound, little things like this can have a huge impact, the same way as when a football team plays away from home. He would have also been intent on making a statement, just as Wilder did a few weeks previously.

- And now I’ve mentioned it, we have to look at the Wilder situation. Again, AJ knew he had to make a statement, and send a direct message to Deontay. But in doing so, he completely overlooked the little fat Mexican, who was hungry for those belts. Joshua has forgotten what it’s like to be in that situation, where you are genuinely fighting for your family’s future, and was more intent on arguing over who gets the bigger purse share of $100m.

- Joshua is far too heavy at the moment. All that muscle means diddly, if you can’t absorb the required amount of oxygen, for those muscles to perform. He needs to slim down IMO.

- Then we move onto the fight itself. Ruiz had been overlooked by fans, pundits, bookies & ex-pro’s. I have to hang my own head in shame, as I fell into the same trap. Nobody gave him a chance, not even a punchers one. But he performed out of his skin. He showed that Mexican heart & resilience. That desire and hunger to sit at the top table. When he hit the floor, everyone believed that the game was up. Everyone, except him.

- It was this desire which I believe, broke Joshua’s heart. Once it became clear that Ruiz wasn’t going to roll over you could see Joshua’s energy & enthusiasm sap. The KD’s weren’t especially brutal, they weren’t thunder b@stard punches. As the fight slowly slipped away from Joshua, you could see it was only going to end one way. And AJ got out of there, before he got put out cold.

Congratulations Andy Ruiz.

It was interesting to see Joshua’s dad furious with Hearn, after the fight. A lot of money has just been removed from the negotiating tables, and they only have themselves to blame.

Joshua’s career goes one of two ways now, he either comes back much-improved, like Lewis did, or his slide into the abyss has begun - like Bruno.

Not sure that an instant rematch is the way forward for him, but then a few rebuilding fights would also be detrimental to his brand. He’s in a tough spot, either way.

The big fights are still there for him - if he can recover - but they’ll obviously be slightly tainted by this result.

Last edited:
Well, the landscape has shifted slightly now, hasn’t it. Just think, in less than a years time, we could potentially see Ruiz vs Ortiz in a battle to be called Undisputed Heavyweight Champion Of The World. How did that happen?

In truth, this defeat had been coming for a long time. It has always been clear that AJ’s chin is weak, and his stamina is poor. However, it took the stars aligning for Ruiz to put him to the sword. It’s not enough to suggest that Ruiz was simply better (although he was), without taking into account the other factors.

- Firstly, this was the first time AJ had fought away from The UK. Plenty of boxers struggle to go abroad and win fights, and America is as hard a place as any. I think the occasion definitely got to him. Everything is different, from the drug testing to the atmosphere. As daft as it may sound, little things like this can have a huge impact, the same way as when a football team plays away from home. He would have also been intent on making a statement, just as Wilder did a few weeks previously.

- And now I’ve mentioned it, we have to look at the Wilder situation. Again, AJ knew he had to make a statement, and send a direct message to Deontay. But in doing so, he completely overlooked the little fat Mexican, who was hungry for those belts. Joshua has forgotten what it’s like to be in that situation, where you are genuinely fighting for your family’s future, and was more intent on arguing over who gets the bigger purse share of $100m.

- Joshua is far too heavy at the moment. All that muscle means diddly, if you can’t absorb the required amount of oxygen, for those muscles to perform. He needs to slim down IMO.

- Then we move onto the fight itself. Ruiz had been overlooked by fans, pundits, bookies & ex-pro’s. I have to hang my own head in shame, as I fell into the same trap. Nobody gave him a chance, not even a punchers one. But he performed out of his skin. He showed that Mexican heart & resilience. That desire and hunger to sit at the top table. When he hit the floor, everyone believed that the game was up. Everyone, except him.

- It was this desire which I believe, broke Joshua’s heart. Once it became clear that Ruiz wasn’t going to roll over you could see Joshua’s energy & enthusiasm sap. The KD’s weren’t especially brutal, they weren’t thunder b@stard punches. As the fight slowly slipped away from Joshua, you could see it was only going to end one way. And AJ got out of there, before he got put out cold.

Congratulations Andy Ruiz.

It was interesting to see Joshua’s dad furious with Hearn, after the fight. A lot of money has just been removed from the negotiating tables, and they only have themselves to blame.

Joshua’s career goes one of two ways now, he either comes back much-improved, like Lewis did, or his slide into the abyss has begun - like Bruno.

Not sure that an instant rematch is the way forward for him, but then a few rebuilding fights would also be detrimental to his brand. He’s in a tough spot, either way.

The big fights are still there for him - if he can recover - but they’ll obviously be slightly tainted by this result.

For what it's worth, I've heard AJ was ill in camp, his Dad wanted the fight postponed, AJ didn't want to pull out of his US debut show and said he'll carry it through.

AJ's Dad is fuming with Hearn saying he shouldn't have let the fight go ahead, and AJ was trying to calm him down, saying it was my (AJ's) decision.

If the above is true, I still think most of your points still ring true, he's obviously looked at Ruiz and thought, I can deal with him 75% fit. Which back in the UK without the additional pressures you've outlined so well in the above, he may well of done. But it's heavyweight boxing, and every little measure makes a difference.

I don't expect him to come out with any excuses, he was very magnanimous in defeat and is brand aware enough, to know blaming an injury is probably more damaging than the loss itself (as Mr Haye's little toe, can happily confirm).

Be interesting to see where the rebuild begins. Seen a lot being said about Mckracken not being the right man for the top top level, I'm sure Froch would disagree, but I don't really like the idea of immediately sacking a trainer after a loss.

Also seeing a lot of boxing fans revel in his loss as well, seems a bit off. It's become a bit in vogue to hate on him and Matchroom to validate fans superiority complex, apparently if you like AJ, you're a fanboy, or a casual, two words I really dislike in boxing. Surely people wanted to see the big fights with him, Wilder and Fury, however hard they would be to make.

For what it's worth, I've heard AJ was ill in camp, his Dad wanted the fight postponed, AJ didn't want to pull out of his US debut show and said he'll carry it through.

AJ's Dad is fuming with Hearn saying he shouldn't have let the fight go ahead, and AJ was trying to calm him down, saying it was my (AJ's) decision.

If the above is true, I still think most of your points still ring true, he's obviously looked at Ruiz and thought, I can deal with him 75% fit. Which back in the UK without the additional pressures you've outlined so well in the above, he may well of done. But it's heavyweight boxing, and every little measure makes a difference.

I don't expect him to come out with any excuses, he was very magnanimous in defeat and is brand aware enough, to know blaming an injury is probably more damaging than the loss itself (as Mr Haye's little toe, can happily confirm).

Interesting, I hadn’t heard that rumour.

His eye was marked up a few weeks ago, and the Chinese whispers said that his training hadn’t gone the way anyone had wanted it to.

But then on the other hand, we have to take into consideration the fact that Joshua came into the bout very heavy.

That’s not through illness, that’s a game plan. I believe he wanted to bulk right up, and do a demolition job on Miller, in order to announce himself on the American stage. And this to me, was his biggest mistake, as he cannot function for more than 2-3 rounds, with that much weight on him.

Obviously if he hasn’t been well, and he’s taking a kicking in sparring, that won’t help matters.

Be interesting to see where the rebuild begins. Seen a lot being said about Mckracken not being the right man for the top top level, I'm sure Froch would disagree, but I don't really like the idea of immediately sacking a trainer after a loss.

Yeah Lennox was saying this aswell. Although in fairness, he wasn’t knocking McCracken, he was just saying that maybe AJ isn’t suited to fighting RM’s style, and that maybe a change in approach would suit AJ.

I’ve got nothing against RM per se, I think he’s a decent trainer, but I think the issues with AJ lie deeper than just a training regime.

We know he’s always had a suspect chin. We know he’s prone to gassing. We know his movement is robotic & predictable. If various trainers haven’t solved those issues by now, then it’s unlikely that anyone can.

Although saying that, whoever advised him to bulk up for this fight, has dropped a clanger IMO. It might have worked against Miller, but it was a very risky gamble to begin with.

Also seeing a lot of boxing fans revel in his loss as well, seems a bit off. It's become a bit in vogue to hate on him and Matchroom to validate fans superiority complex, apparently if you like AJ, you're a fanboy, or a casual, two words I really dislike in boxing. Surely people wanted to see the big fights with him, Wilder and Fury, however hard they would be to make.

I think there’s numerous reasons to hate on Joshua, (remember, I was doing it before it became cool to do it ?)

Joshua as a person, is a dick head. But that’s not really an issue, because most boxers are - especially the great ones. (In fact, you’d be hard pressed to name a great boxer, who hasn’t at some point in their career/life acted like a dick head)

Where he goes wrong though, is this boy-next-door/corporate persona. I’ve said many times, how I wished they’d have just let him off the leash years ago, and allowed him to be himself. Someone who has a bit of a personality, whether it’s a good one or not.

They should have packed up with the fake stuff a long time ago, as It’s fooling nobody, and is immensely cringeworthy these days.

I mean, he hasn’t helped himself with his behaviour though. The racist messages sent to Eddie Chambers (allegedly), was totally bonkers. Asking fans to vote for his next opponent and then completely ignoring the poll. Calling out Tyson Fury, only to retreat from that, and say he’s not interested in the Fury fight at all.

Then of course, there’s the fact that he’s intrinsically linked to that slimy, used car salesman.

Good ol’ Eddie, who would happily charge you the low, low price of £19.95 for the privilege of watching Anthony Joshua shadow box for 12 rounds, on PPV.

The man has been mugging the fans off for years (still got that partnership deal with StubHub I presume?) and Joshua - rightly or wrongly - is deemed guilty by association.

People like myself cannot get over, or ignore these things. The whole business model has moulded the fighter that we see today, and the basic bottom line is, that fighter is a marmite character.

But having said that, as much as I’ve been waiting for the hype train to derail, for some time now, I kind of feel indifferent towards it. I’m not happy about it, but neither am I overly disappointed with it. I’m not sure how my previous post came across, but in no way, shape or form, did I want it to come across as a gloating, “I told you so”, analysis. I wanted it to be as unbiased, and fair as possible.

And thats because, In truth, the fights with Tyson & Wilder are still there, but they won’t have that same edge now.

We know Joshua will get bowled over by a heavy hitter such as Wilder, and we know he hasn’t got the stamina or IQ to outpoint a classy technical boxer like Fury, over 12 rounds.

Can he change this? I don’t know. I doubt it.

One thing is for sure, the World has been robbed of at least one, (but maybe two) of the greatest Heavyweight showdowns, since Lennox & Tyson, all those years ago.

The rematch has been called for AJ v Ruiz in Nov/Dec. Anyone here actually think it will happen?

The rematch has been called for AJ v Ruiz in Nov/Dec. Anyone here actually think it will happen?

I’d say nothing’s certain in this sport.

I guess it will come down to the finer details of the original contract, and the proposed rematch clause.

Ruiz said he wants it in Mexico, whereas Hearn obviously wants it back on home turf (no surprise there - imagine my shock at discovering AJ was a point up, on one judges scorecard, at the time of stoppage)

Then of course it’ll be the money debate, (if that hasn’t already been put into place, in the original contract). Ruiz deserves to be the majority recepient, and could command a very high percentage. It’s no big secret that defending champions earn more, which is normally around the 70:30, or 80:20 mark. However, it’s not unheard of for a Champion to demand a purse splits as high as 90:10, Would Hearn & Joshua be willing to swallow that?

However, the biggest problem of all, will be addressing the belts. I think Pulev is mandatory for the IBF(?), so will want his shot. He has been paid to stand aside before, but he might fancy his chances right now with Ruiz, more than his chances against a (possible) revitalised Anthony Joshua, at a later date.

Wilder may also decide that Ruiz is his best chance of unifying the division, so there’s always the potential for him to come knocking.

Imagine a unification bout between a Mexican & an American, around the time of Thanksgiving, OR stretching a little manufactured rivalry out, until Cinco De Mayo, next year. $$$

I’d say nothing’s certain in this sport.

I guess it will come down to the finer details of the original contract, and the proposed rematch clause.

Ruiz said he wants it in Mexico, whereas Hearn obviously wants it back on home turf (no surprise there - imagine my shock at discovering AJ was a point up, on one judges scorecard, at the time of stoppage)

Then of course it’ll be the money debate, (if that hasn’t already been put into place, in the original contract). Ruiz deserves to be the majority recepient, and could command a very high percentage. It’s no big secret that defending champions earn more, which is normally around the 70:30, or 80:20 mark. However, it’s not unheard of for a Champion to demand a purse splits as high as 90:10, Would Hearn & Joshua be willing to swallow that?

However, the biggest problem of all, will be addressing the belts. I think Pulev is mandatory for the IBF(?), so will want his shot. He has been paid to stand aside before, but he might fancy his chances right now with Ruiz, more than his chances against a (possible) revitalised Anthony Joshua, at a later date.

Wilder may also decide that Ruiz is his best chance of unifying the division, so there’s always the potential for him to come knocking.

Imagine a unification bout between a Mexican & an American, around the time of Thanksgiving, OR stretching a little manufactured rivalry out, until Cinco De Mayo, next year. $$$

As it stands the IBF mandatory is Pulev but the IBF say they will allow it to be pushed aside for the rematch. (Which is bull**** as they didn’t do that for Fury when he beat Klitschko). The WBO mandatory is Usyk who they think they will be the problem governing body for the rematch. The WBA still have Povetkin as their mandatory but who know what they’ll do.

For the venue issue apparently what I’ve heard is that as part of the rematch clause they put it in that Joshua’s team get to select the destination. If that’s the case it’ll be in the UK. With it being in Nov/Dec I would be very surprised if it was in a stadium. So that leaves the o2 really for the venue. I really hope it isn’t in the UK.

Now to throw a spanner into the works Al Haymon who manages Wilder also manages Ruiz. He has the money to throw at Hearn if Ruiz ****s off the rematch and could try and get a dust up with Wilder for all the belts (other governing bodies pending.)

I’ve got a feeling this fight just doesn’t happen next. I’d love Fury to step in next and win his belts back but can’t see it. It’s a shame he didn’t take up the chance to fight him before the Ruiz fight. A lot of people who turned him down will be kicking themselves.

As it stands the IBF mandatory is Pulev but the IBF say they will allow it to be pushed aside for the rematch. (Which is bull**** as they didn’t do that for Fury when he beat Klitschko). The WBO mandatory is Usyk who they think they will be the problem governing body for the rematch. The WBA still have Povetkin as their mandatory but who know what they’ll do.

For the venue issue apparently what I’ve heard is that as part of the rematch clause they put it in that Joshua’s team get to select the destination. If that’s the case it’ll be in the UK. With it being in Nov/Dec I would be very surprised if it was in a stadium. So that leaves the o2 really for the venue. I really hope it isn’t in the UK.

Now to throw a spanner into the works Al Haymon who manages Wilder also manages Ruiz. He has the money to throw at Hearn if Ruiz ****s off the rematch and could try and get a dust up with Wilder for all the belts (other governing bodies pending.)

I’ve got a feeling this fight just doesn’t happen next. I’d love Fury to step in next and win his belts back but can’t see it. It’s a shame he didn’t take up the chance to fight him before the Ruiz fight. A lot of people who turned him down will be kicking themselves.

Yeah, really wouldn’t rule out the possibility of Wilder vs Ruiz unification, even if I do truthfully think it’s unlikely.

The IBF were always the most respected governing body out of the lot, but they made themselves looks ridiculous & biased over the treatment of Tyson Fury.

The venue is an interesting point of discussion. For commercial purposes, it doesn’t make sense to drop back into arenas like the O2, (regardless how prestigious they are) after building The AJ Brand to the size it is. It would - rightly or wrongly - be seen as a regression.

But on the other hand, how much has AJ been affected by that defeat. I really do question his heart, and I’m not sure if he could deal with the pressure of a sell-out stadium crowd, who would not only be expecting a win, but a stylish one at that.

So by that token, the venue could end up being Cardiff again, I suppose. Hearn isn’t mad enough to stage a Wembley event, in deepest winter. MillStad with its roof, makes sense, as long as it’s available. Can’t think of any other suitable venues, in this country.

Yeah, really wouldn’t rule out the possibility of Wilder vs Ruiz unification, even if I do truthfully think it’s unlikely.

The IBF were always the most respected governing body out of the lot, but they made themselves looks ridiculous & biased over the treatment of Tyson Fury.

The venue is an interesting point of discussion. For commercial purposes, it doesn’t make sense to drop back into arenas like the O2, (regardless how prestigious they are) after building The AJ Brand to the size it is. It would - rightly or wrongly - be seen as a regression.

But on the other hand, how much has AJ been affected by that defeat. I really do question his heart, and I’m not sure if he could deal with the pressure of a sell-out stadium crowd, who would not only be expecting a win, but a stylish one at that.

So by that token, the venue could end up being Cardiff again, I suppose. Hearn isn’t mad enough to stage a Wembley event, in deepest winter. MillStad with its roof, makes sense, as long as it’s available. Can’t think of any other suitable venues, in this country.

Fair point didn't even think about Cardiff. All that money we spent on Wembley and we didn't put a retractable roof in.

I've just read that all the governing bodies have told Eddie that the rematch will be for all of the belts. Sounds like this could be a legit goer then.

I think the pressure and the media presence completely got to him in the end and it has been a weight off his shoulders now that 0 has gone. I don't know why boxers are so bothered about their 0. The majority of the greatest boxers of all time suffered losses Tyson, Lewis, Ali, Sugar Ray's etc. The Mayweather era of keeping that 0 hasn't helped. The UFC focus more on the best fighting the best and the 0 means nothing. I wish boxing would be more like that but unfortunately with so many different governing bodies and so many stupid fake champ belts it'll never happen.

It's a big risk for AJ this fight because if he loses this one then where does he go? The Wilder and Fury fights won't happen.

Fury Vs Schwarz tonight/early hours of tomorrow.

I’ve got a bad feeling about this one. Fury has looked very cocky this week, and I wonder if his mind is in the right place. I know Schwarz is a big underdog, but he has decent experience of finishing fights early, even if it is against no-hopers.

Tyson will have to be fully switched on come the opening bell, that’s something he’s not always done against so-called lesser opponents.

There’s a lot of pressure for him to perform in front of an expectant, American audience, and I wonder if that’ll affect him in any way. He needs to forget about trying to entertain people with pointless antics, and let his boxing do the talking.

Hope that (as per usual) I’m wrong, and Fury walks him down with little trouble, but I’ve had £5 on Schwarz to win by stoppage @ 20/1, just in case

Edit: the word that’s been blanked out is c o c k y

He’s come in heavy too which I found a surprise.

I really hope he doesn’t lose and as I’ve always said Tyson Fury is the best in the division and the only person who beats him is himself.

I’d love to see a real statement and see him Ko Schwarz but cannot see it. £19.95 for this fight is an absolute joke! The undercard is pretty ****e too!

The best fight this weekend is Warrington v Galahad. Proper dust up that one, every wrote off Josh before the Selby and Frampton fights and he proved them wrong. He’s got a hell of an engine and will no doubt outbox Barry for all 12 rounds and win on a wide points decision.

He’s come in heavy too which I found a surprise.

I really hope he doesn’t lose and as I’ve always said Tyson Fury is the best in the division and the only person who beats him is himself.

I’d love to see a real statement and see him Ko Schwarz but cannot see it. £19.95 for this fight is an absolute joke! The undercard is pretty ****e too!

The best fight this weekend is Warrington v Galahad. Proper dust up that one, every wrote off Josh before the Selby and Frampton fights and he proved them wrong. He’s got a hell of an engine and will no doubt outbox Barry for all 12 rounds and win on a wide points decision.

Agree about the weight. He fights at his best, around 17.5 stone. He’s come in at least a stone over that.

Certainly won’t pay for it. Haven’t paid for a Box Office event for years tbh :Hilarious: Not because I couldn’t afford it, more out of principle.

Warrington is a good fighter, no doubt, but I can’t stand him. I suppose it’s the Leeds thing, and his rabble of degenerate fans that put me off. Personally I would love to see the **** get starched.

Agree about the weight. He fights at his best, around 17.5 stone. He’s come in at least a stone over that.

Certainly won’t pay for it. Haven’t paid for a Box Office event for years tbh :Hilarious: Not because I couldn’t afford it, more out of principle.

Warrington is a good fighter, no doubt, but I can’t stand him. I suppose it’s the Leeds thing, and his rabble of degenerate fans that put me off. Personally I would love to see the **** get starched.

I don’t like his fans but I really like him, don’t know what it is. I think it’s probably helped by the fact Hearn let him go from his stable saying “he was the one he didn’t see going further than European Level” love it when someone sticks it to Hearn.

Statement made there by Fury, although Schwarz looked terrible but that’s what was needed for his profile in America. His first KO since 2014.

Back