• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bye Mark... Thanks for the memories and all that, hope the £5kp/w is worth it.

So our fears have come to pass. He'll be hugely missed, but I wish him and his family all the best. Let's hope the management learns from this, and makes sure our most important players are offered decent improved contracts well before the end of their terms.

Let's hope the management learns from this, and makes sure our most important players are offered decent improved contracts well before the end of their terms.

He's been talked to for the last 3/4 months... he just knew that if we failed to go up better money was on offer else where, and IMO the club were right to give him a deadline of the weekend to make up his mind.

I'll look on the bright side of this one... Maybe now we can get a good player 95% of the time instead of a fantastic player 50% of the time.

It's interesting to note that Flavs is reported as being on holiday with his family in Turkey. I thought he was given the weekend as a deadline as well.

Mark Gower has been a great asset to the club. He will be sorely missed and all credit to him, as Paul Brush mentions, he has chosen ambition over money which is a great credit to him. I see him leaving a hard gap to fill and thank him for some great memories at Southend especially the goal at Bristol Rovers. He really will fill Robinsons boots at Swansea and I wish Mark and his family all the best for the future.

Personally I'm happy to see this tied up as I think we all knew he was going as clearly his interest had been piqued by the attraction of playing football at a higher level. Good luck to him all the same and hopefully we can now move forward as Brushy says in securing the replacements we need.

our best player is now gone, this was my biggest concern tbh, I would take an on form Gower over a bailey/eastwood/macca any day massive blow for the team and will be very hard to replace, plus the fact he gone for free doesnt help matters, cant blame him though he got a young family and only a few years left in the game had to grab the pay day IMO

Always been a fan of Gower's, but all players leave at some point. We seem to have offered what we could afford but he got a taste of playing in the CCC with us and that's what he wants.

Looking on the bright side; at least I won't have to listen to my mate moaning about his powder-puff tackles any more :)

I think Gower was one of the few plus points in our relegation season, arguably he played better up against the better teams, so this is no surprise at all

Very best of luck to you Marky G, and thank you for your efforts while with SUFC :clap: :clap:

good luck Marky G, a great player on a good day but a truly awful player on a bad one.

My only concern is will Martinez put up with the ( alleged ) smoking and gambling the way we did......

Mark Gower has been a great asset to the club. He will be sorely missed and all credit to him, as Paul Brush mentions, he has chosen ambition over money which is a great credit to him. I see him leaving a hard gap to fill and thank him for some great memories at Southend especially the goal at Bristol Rovers. He really will fill Robinsons boots at Swansea and I wish Mark and his family all the best for the future.

Is Mr Brush suggesting that we offered him more than Swansea?
Gower may well have made a decision based on ambition but to indicate that the prime motivator was not money is naive.

Good luck to him. Cant say we didnt get our moneys worth for him (25k for five years) and I think he will flourish in the Championship

Good luck Mark. A very good player for this club over the year and when that will be missed. I think people who have put him down in the past will now realise what we had now that is gone. A very tricky player who poured his heart in to this club and i wish him all the best for the future.

good luck to him. As benfleet blue said the goal at Bristol Rovers was superb and one i'll never forget.

good luck mark one of the best players in my time of supporting the blues.

Back