• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm hugely disappointed to see him go, he'd have been an asset again last season but we can't begrudge him his move. He has given his all for the club and on his day, he IS better than L1. He is hitting 30 now, the prime of his career, and he wanted a guarantee that he'd get longer at a higher level before he packs it in (his back problems and inferior fitness levels mean that he might retire earlier than the average midfielder). We couldn't guarantee him that. Good luck to him.

This is now where the management and the chairman have to earn their bread. The should be going all out and doing everything in their power to sign a good, a very good replacement. We weren't able to replace Freddy - fair enough, it would have been a very difficult task - but we MUST replace Gower. Not completely like for like, preferably more consistent, but with the vision, flair, intelligence and passing ability that Mark Gower brought us.

So our fears have come to pass. He'll be hugely missed, but I wish him and his family all the best. Let's hope the management learns from this, and makes sure our most important players are offered decent improved contracts well before the end of their terms.

Why the blame culture ?

We tried to keep him and he wanted to play in the Championship at this late stage in his career.

We offered him a contract he didnt accept it.

We also offered Bailey and Clarke contracts well before the end of their terms so we obviously do what you say we need to anyway...

Just seen on skysports News "ticker" system. and i quote

"out of contract Southend United Winger Mark Gower signs long term contract with Swansea"

Can you believe this. he made himself "out of contract"

Good luck Mark. Thanks for all the great goals

King Harold shot in eye!

Just seen on skysports News "ticker" system. and i quote

"out of contract Southend United Winger Mark Gower signs long term contract with Swansea"

Can you believe this. he made himself "out of contract"

Good luck Mark. Thanks for all the great goals

Do we need another thread on Marky G?

I dont think he "made himself" out of contract, his contract expired at the end of last season!

Do we need another thread on Marky G?

I dont think he "made himself" out of contract, his contract expired at the end of last season!

Exactly. Another point of view could be that if we rated him so highly why didn't we tie him up on a longer contract at the end of the 06/07 season when he still had a year to run (unless he declined to do so).

Fair enough to let your journeyman players run to end of contract before negotiating but should quality 'core' players be left to do the same??

Last edited:
Good Luck Marky =]

Is Brush actual stupid or something, says on the OS "Now we know where the gaps are in the side"

WELL...i think there is quite a lot of gaps we need to fill tbh! lol

Good luck Gower.. I think Kevin Maher leaving contributed to him leaving as I knew they were pretty close mates and were always together at training. Nice to see he chose ambiton over money.

I dont agree that his best years are ahead of him if i am honest. I think that he has played his best football here

I think Martinez is talking out of his Catalonian backside with that one.

Gower is nearly 30 anyway so his next 3-4 years will be the twilight of his career unless he starts drinking Furlongs special embalming energy drink (as recommended by ancient egyptians the world over)

Alright lads,

Just reading through the thread, sounds like we have a good player, i've always been impressed by him when i've seen him, so i'm pretty happy that he will be a great replacement for Robinson.

Anyway, best of luck next season, hope you keep and eye on us and see how we get on in the Championship.

And, you couldn't have a better name for a Swans player than Gower.

Will he tell the Swansea fans to f*ck off an average of 3 times during a game like he did to ours? Will he tell their assistant manager to f*ck off when given instructions like he did to ours? Oooh so many questions.

He will be missed though. Didn't like his back chat to the fans, didn't like his half arsed fairy like attempts at challenges, but he's been a massive player in the clubs revival and for that, hopefully we'll play Swansea soon to give him a send off. It seems like anyone who has played over a 100 games for the club will be off this season with the exception of Barrett. It looks like a summer of Wignall like rebuilding again! :unsure:

Personally I am gutted as I think he is a fantastic player on his day, scorer of great goals and full of creativity. I think he will be sorely missed but I fear at 29 his best days are behind him as fitness wise he has never been the best.

Would loved him to have stayed and shame we went to ****ing Swansea but least they are not in our league.

Cheers for the good times big man.

Seconded, although I'm fond of the Jacks, who play football the right way and with whom we've always had closely fought encounters played in the right spirit.

I wish them, and Marky G, every success in the Championship next season.

Gutted he's gone, mind...

:( :'(

often under-rated as a finisher is Mr G - 10 in the CCC -

liked his goal against BHA this year - picked it up in his own half

One of my favourite players - sorry to see you go Mark - all the best for the future.

I pose a question - if Mark Gower had 2 years to run on his contract how much money would we have got for him to spend on new players rather than our unfortunate £0...

Back