• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hong Kong Blue

1. Missing Sodje and Prior

With one of these two in we clean up everything in the air. They are strong, experienced defenders who organise our defence and make us a much more physical side. They protect a vulnerable Flahavan. The statistics pretty much say it all.

Sodje played 11 games (plus 1 as sub) and we have kept 9 clean sheets (if you don't count the goal we let in at Bournemouth after he got stretchered off).

Prior has played 17 games and has 8 clean sheets to his name this season, last season it was 18 clean sheets in 44. Had he been fit for the last 5 games it would have almost guaranteed us at least another two points.

In the last 4 and a bit games with neither we have yet to keep a clean sheet. (Edwards kept 2 clean sheets in about 20 games)

2. Missing Mark Bentley

A fit Mark Bentley offers so much. Like Prior and Sodje he makes us a more physical and competitive team. He was a key man in our 8 game winning streak (despite not starting in it) with his performances at Gillingham, Rotherham and Forest and then his return to the side after Christmas kickstarted the run that got us to the top.

His ability to get up and down the pitch has been sorely missed in recent weeks - at both ends of the pitch.

One example is our current inability to defend the counter-attack -we've now lost consecutive home games to goals conceded on the counter and have generally looked more vulnerable on the counter than normal. Maher is nominally the defensive midfielder, but he lacks both the stamina and the pace to defend the counter-attack. instead our key man the last two seasons for this has been Benno, who somehow gets back quicker than the captain to either slow down the man in midfield, or to reinforce the defence. Bentley often prevents the counter before its even really started.

Like Pettefer last season, Bentley drifts inside to assist Maher and Guttridge in the centre of midfield. This extra support has allowed us in the past a midfield dominance that has been missing in recent weeks - Doncaster being a noticable example. Bradbury has got stuck in well on the wing, but not in the middle of the park like Bentley does.

Finally Bentley is an important attacking option. His off the ball running is crucial in drawing defenders away from Eastwood and creating space for the rest of the team. On the ball he is the most direct of all the Southend team, driving forward. When other players are short of ideas, he'll put his head down and run.

Bradbury may have a great first touch and be good in the air (although Bentley is also strong in the air), but Bradbury has yet to create anything, other than a goal against Col Ewe's sorry excuse of a defence. Every time he gets the ball he turns backwards and lays it off to Duncan Jupp. Jupp may get forward well but he never (play-off final aside) actually does anything worthwhile with it. Our attack down the righthandside is consequently impotent. Recalling Benno would add some real impetus to it, as well as strengthening the central midfield throughh is prestigous work-rate.

3. Nerves

The big crowd (who of course turn on the players if they fail to go 1 up inside 20 minutes), the pressure of being top against teams who have nothing to lose. We aren't helped by the fact that one of our most experienced players, Spencer Prior is out injured, and the Goat missed one of the defeats as well. Not so much top of the league and having a laugh as top of the league and fretting. Its not just us that this is happening to - all 3 who won today were away, having slipped up at home the previous week.

I can't remember us ever clinching promotion in front of an expectant Roots Hall crowd.

4. Luck

Maybe it is evening itself out, but it hasn't fallen for us in recent weeks. Two OGs up at Barnsley, but its not just that it was Wayne Gray's deflected shot v Gillingham that deflected into the keeper's arms, and there were a further two shots today that were millimetres from being deflected past an already committed Donny keeper. We rode our luck earlier and we now aren't scraping those last minute victories.

woah theres no point of anyone replying to this write a book mate!
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
blues.gif
But good points good points!

COme on you blues!

ps Some possibly interesting stats.

I make it that we have won 3, lost 3 and drawn 3 with Bradbury playing.

Bentley is won 10, lost 6 drawn 4.

Excellent post and I totally agree with you. We lack the organisation at the back, and that's what Efe and Spinner provide. I'd definitely put Bentley in for Bradbury next Saturday as he gives us more options and we need to match them for strength. For me, Bradbury is too simple. He isnt much taller, stronger or quicker than anyone else, and doesnt have the ability to beat his man. At least Benno has the height and strength, along with a superb work rate.

For me, I would gamble Bradbury up front and put Benno on the right. Then we still have an experienced head to partner Freddy and the midfield would still look strong.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ April 22 2006,22:13)]ps Some possibly interesting stats.

I make it that we have won 3, lost 3 and drawn 3 with Bradbury playing.

Bentley is won 10, lost 6 drawn 4.
Not wishing to put the boot into Bradbury but I thought earlier that we look one-dimensional with him on the flank. The routine now seems to be to knock it skyward towards Bradbury for him to win the header which goes to noone and is then cleared. Precisely the kind of mid-table league 2 crap we were playing under Newman. He has good qualities but personally I think you have to either play him in central midfield or on the bench. How can we have a winger with no pace whatsoever? Isn't that a one-legged man being asked to enter and arse-kicking competition?

rock.gif

i think we have just hit another bad patch again. I thought this would happen after our bad run in november cos we had our bad run too early and it was inevitable we'd have another one before the end of season. But we are damn lucky that none of the other top teams have been in promotion form otherwise we'd be long gone

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper4life @ April 23 2006,00:04)]i think we have just hit another bad patch again. I thought this would happen after our bad run in november cos we had our bad run too early and it was inevitable we'd have another one before the end of season. But we are damn lucky that none of the other top teams have been in promotion form otherwise we'd be long gone
Exactley - the question is can we pull it around before the end of the season - at the moment I'm not confident at all, Swansea will be fighting for their play-off place and Bristol City are bang in form... can't see us getting a win from either tbh.

You are all forgetting Swansea are crap at the moment, have been for weeks now.
Swansea crowd are calling for the managers head, bunch of divs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (col u @ April 23 2006,08:30)]You are all forgetting Swansea are crap at the moment, have been for weeks now.
Exactly swansea's bad run has gone for too long and its gonna be one of their last 2 games where they are gonna pul things back together and knowing our luck, it'll probably be next week when their back on form

Yeah time to get Bradbury out, he doesn't do anything. For a tall bloke he hardly wins any headers. He also never tries to beat his man.
Get mitchell cole out there, he looked good when he came on and knows how to beat his man. Defenders hate it when u run at them. We just don't have any pace in our team at the moment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (col u @ April 23 2006,08:30)]You are all forgetting Swansea are crap at the moment, have been for weeks now.
I was asking the question with next season as much in mind as this season.

I'm fully aware that Swansea's form is dire. Besides with a three point cushion we may already have enough points. Swansea aren't the only bad team in the top 6. Col Ewe have looked awful the last handful of times we have played them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scamps @ April 23 2006,12:46)]Yeah time to get Bradbury out, he doesn't do anything. For a tall bloke he hardly wins any headers. He also never tries to beat his man.
Eh? Bradbury wins pretty much every header. My bone of contention was that he doesn't seem to do anything with the ball at his feet.

He looks a better version of Gordon Connelly. Good touch, but just lays it continually back to his full-back. A wide player can contribute in more ways than just beating his man, but needs to offer more to the team than Bradbury is currently doing.

I suspect Bradbury would be far more effective at centre forward, where he would have Eastwood and Guttridge running onto his laybacks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ April 23 2006,12:57)]I suspect Bradbury would be far more effective at centre forward
Yeah well I'd have thought so too when he joined but he never seems to want to shoot!! Very, very strange for someone who got sackloads of goals for Portsmouth all those years ago.

nerves partuicularly in the new back line and luck. In defence loosing to two identikit goals in consecutive home games and upfront where everthing went to the keeper or is blocked. Chins up everyone, these games were narrow defeats, we weren't getting tonked 3-0 and we were the dominant team.

I expect a win at Swansea - pressure off from the home crowd. And then a relaxed win against Bristol. Ok so I expected a win against Gillingham and Doncaster too but whose counting.

We're not missing Prior but definitely missing Sodje. I still reckon we can win at Swansea, they're under just as much pressure as us and we're playing well away from home. I don't want a last day finish, especially as Bristol City are in such good form.

I dont understand this talk of missing sodje, the goals we conceded against Gillingham and Doncaster would still have gone in if he was playing.

I also dont understand this slating of Bradbury, he was our best player yesterday. He wins so many flick ons and lays the ball off well. Id never put Bentley in front of him in a million years!

We have no pace at the back. Its causing us problems at the moment. When players run at us we look scared. The two goals that we lwt in at Doncaster and Gillingham wer both caused by that.

Back