• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So when are you going to stop pestering him then?

I suppose, whichever the sooner of: when I expire, RM may answer, or by his actions his intent becomes, apparent - which may or not give rise to further pestering as you put it.

The long future of the club is much more important than that of any individual.

RM should know that he is the encumbent holder of the crown jewels and he will be judged utimatley by how he preserves them.

None of us can choose our destiny, or escape from it.

Last edited:
The long future of the club is much more important than individuals.

But there surely must come a time when you realise Ron owns the Club and whatever he decides to do with it, ultimately has nothing to do with you. You are a fan and a customer, thats it. Buy it off him, then its up to you.

But there surely must come a time when you realise Ron owns the Club and whatever he decides to do with it, ultimately has nothing to do with you. You are a fan and a customer, thats it. Buy it off him, then its up to you.

Thats a bit simplistic.

Football clubs rely on a customer base in a way other businesses dont and Football customers are hoped to buy the product even when its poop :)

The emotional connection is completely different and whilst it is Ron Martins business he is still responsible to the fans and needs to ensure the clubs security, which Im sure he is....

So supporters have no voice then ? How wrong and sad view that would be.

The emotional connection is completely different and whilst it is Ron Martins business he is still responsible to the fans and needs to ensure the clubs security, which Im sure he is....

Fair enough but the final decision has to be his so its his choice and nothing to do with Irate Ian or ou or me. The bloke had the remarkable patience to have a private meeting with some fans, but this isnt enough for Ian. Now he wants the answers in writing, then after that presumably a DVD and then a sworn affidavit. Im just saying leave the bloke alone and let him get on with running the Club as he sees fit.

Fair enough but the final decision has to be his so its his choice and nothing to do with Irate Ian or ou or me. The bloke had the remarkable patience to have a private meeting with some fans, but this isnt enough for Ian. Now he wants the answers in writing, then after that presumably a DVD and then a sworn affidavit. Im just saying leave the bloke alone and let him get on with running the Club as he sees fit.

The answers in writing are those promised by Ronald Martin himself.

Consider to go and ask him yourself if you dont believe.

He knows that he has failed to honour that commitment, but the reasons are not yet apparent.

RM should know that he is the encumbent holder of the crown jewels and he will be judged utimatley by how he preserves them.

In fairness Ian, other than failure to respond to your questions, which I hope he does, he has always shown to be trying to move this club forward and push us into the Championship.

Questions regarding the ownership of the stadium need to be answered but I think its a fair assumption to think Ron Martin wants the best for this club.

Consider to go and ask him yourself if you dont believe

Why would I? Its his Club for him to do what he wants with. You just dont seem to get it.

I think you should be extremely grateful that he even entertained you and rather than keep on moaning at him, just leave it alone.
And even if he writes dwon eerything you want him to, he still has the right to change his mind.

Why would I? Its his Club for him to do what he wants with. You just dont seem to get it.

I think you should be extremely grateful that he even entertained you and rather than keep on moaning at him, just leave it alone.
And even if he writes dwon eerything you want him to, he still has the right to change his mind.

[Don't get it] your damn right you need it spelt out.

Honouring commitments is crucial to the assessment of and knowing with whom you are dealing.

RM's failure to honour, lowers his esteem for me and makes it more uncertain as to what challenges may lay ahead for both management, shareholders and ordinary stakeholders [supporters] alike.

[Don't get it] your damn right you need it spelt out.

y o u d o n t o w n t h e C l u b

If you are a shareholder, express your opinion and vote at the agm. If not, you are a supporter and thats it.

You dont seem to understand Ron owns the Club and if he doesnt want to write to you and tell you all his plans, then he doesnt have to.
It cant be that difficut to understand can it?

y o u d o n t o w n t h e c l u b

if you are a shareholder, express your opinion and vote at the agm. If not, you are a supporter and thats it.

You dont seem to understand ron owns the club and if he doesnt want to write to you and tell you all his plans, then he doesnt have to.
It cant be that difficut to understand can it?

i r e l e v a n t. whats that got to do with honour and being honourable.

I have to say I am struggling to understand why irate ian, and any others who share his views, feel that they are entitled to know the ins and outs of everything that goes on at SUFC.

I'm not saying we don't want to know; of course we do. But why should we be entitled to know?

That is the point steveo is trying to get across.

Irate Ian, if you don't like it, vote with your feet. RM has no legal obligation to let any of us know anything at all. You're acting as though you are some sort of auditor, which you're not. As I said on another thread, if you get answers you don't like, what exactly are you going to do about it?

Come on mate, turn all this energy into positive energy for Gods sake. This isn't achieving anything.

RM has no legal obligation to let any of us know anything at all. You're acting as though you are some sort of auditor, which you're not.

As it happens, as a shareholder of any company, you are entitled to look at the accounts of the company at ANY given time, and you have the right to question the expenditure of any of the board members. Although, I understand there is a time limit in which you can make these questions...I believe its two week after your inspection of the accounts.

I'm sure one of you bright sparks will clarify that for me.

Most supporters arent Shareholders though...

Whilst Ive never agreed with Ians approach Id still like to know how the club stand with the stadium, and how the interests of SUFC will be looked after.

Heres another question though, if Southend United as a business cant actually financially afford a stadium (including Roots Hall) how can we expect to make demands about ownership/conditions of lease etc.

Whilst its true SUFC cant survive without its supporters it cant actually afford the new ground, or its current one, with them anyway...

In fairness Ian, other than failure to respond to your questions, which I hope he does, he has always shown to be trying to move this club forward and push us into the Championship.

Questions regarding the ownership of the stadium need to be answered but I think its a fair assumption to think Ron Martin wants the best for this club.

This is really the tricky one, trying to second guess what is in another persons mind is practical impossibility, hence the requests for answers in writing from the horses mouth.

How does anyone square a round problem ?

That is the conflict of his interests, between [a] development companies, personal and [c] those of SUFC [d] other investors and shareholders.

This is with specific context of the maximising of development profits - as against the club, through its supporters paying those profits for ever, to cover rent under a lease of the stadium and facilities.

I would hope RM has some trump cards up his sleeve, which we are yet to learn about, but reservations remain due to the impact cost to supporters not being fully known.

Effectively we [supporters] are to be asked to meet these costs so the questions must come up for answers, sooner or later.

A business plan or model must be now in being as any finance applications must have required financial projections being given over to Morgan Stanley etc.

To be fair J, it is no more than what we have all thought/felt at sometime or other - football is an emotional topic etc.

Candid and to the point, well done you for following it all through; seeking and getting the answer's you wanted.

Respect the apology and for standing up for what you believe in, we all should, without trying to dominate anyone else's opinion.

Now I've been in Spain for two weeks; could someone tell me what I missed?!

Typically I go away and we lose hand over fist lol!

A very good read. J good for you well done. I have not read the responses but will make my own reply to your words later in the day over a spot of lunch.

Well done on meeting Ron.

Back