• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Welcome back and as TB says there's no need to be a stranger. I know what it is like to be exiled in the frozen North. Which neatly brings me to my abiding memory of Stan. I was exiled in Yorkshire in thos pre internet and SZ days, and kept hearing the reports of this incredible player we had signed.

I managed to see a couple of home games and was amazed that we had signed a player of such ability but also as why the heck Palace had let him go. In those days because of our division 1 status we entered the FA Cup at the 3rd round stage. We drew Huddersfield away in the 4th Round, (we had beaten Millwall in Round 3)It was a short journey for me then, and it must have been at the McAlpine (Galpharm as it is today), a cold wet day and a muddy pitch. Southend IIRC playing in yellow, Stan collected the ball in our half, looked up and set of on a mazy run, where I swear he beat all the Huddersfield players before planting the ball in the net past a stunned keeper. He scored the 2nd in a 2-1 win.

What a player. Billy Best is my all time favourite Blues player, but Stan.....probably the best player in a Southend shirt I've seen, he had the lot and was obviously destined to play much higher level than we could offer.

I have to say Harry, that is the one thing that sticks in my mind. Amazing run, he did beat most of the team, and the power and movement in that ball is something i've not seen since. This has to go in the book.

One other thing I remember is that Stan was apparently supposed to be a bit of a wayward lad, not training properly in the past etc but I remember that his sister was ill but rather than skip training, he would make it in every day and train hard, before leaving and visiting his sister.

In my eyes, Collymore really is a legend and put Southend firmly on the footballing map.

See now Slip, I chastened you recently on Twitter for being a stranger, doesn't it feel like slipping a comfy, worn out old (Southend) top on coming back to us after all this time? I was unfortunately on a massive husband induced Sabbatical from the Blues at the time Collymore was here, so unfortunately I never saw him play for us in the flesh so to speak.

Best of luck with this though, and you need to be in place for a Hartlepool visit by the sound of things next season!

I was 8 years old, only started to go to Southend with my dad this season. Collymore helped me fall in love with Southend United and with football... He was my first hero and I used to walk around the house chanting his name. When we played football in the playground, I only ever wanted to be Collymore. Still a massive fan of his work.

Oh dear, a few timing errors & memory lapses in my first post - thanks for the list & dates of Stans' appearances - & good to hear that Mr Brown did indeed play more games & score more goals. I attended all of Stans home games & a couple of aways but some games I cannot remember at all (Eg Brum /Barnsley) - I do remember the Fa cup v Millwall cos the original game got called off due to fog & we had to play on a week night. I recall some Millwall fans chanting through a minutes silence before the game & going on the rampage a bit after we had beaten them.

When Stan had the ball at his feet and racing towards goal, i would turn around to my good old mates(Blueblood shrimptank ect) and sing 'we gonna score in a minute, score in a minute' .. 9 out 10 times i was right:thumbsup:

As many have already stated, Stan lookeds such a great player for us, in our team and in that division.

However, the stand-out memory of Stan for me is that he had the passion of a true fan.
I have a "still" in my mind of Stan coming to the North Bank after scoring. I cannot tell you how the goal went in or who it was against. But I can remember the look in Stan Collymore's eyes as he screamed at the celebrating Southend United fans. He actually wanted to get in the North Bank but at the time there were fences with grease smeared over them.

For a while...Stan was definately one of us!!

One of my best memories of him would have to be the following season when we played Forest away the only time Stan would play against us.
He was given a fantastic reception by the Southend fans both before and after the game. Forest scored in front of the Southend fans, there was no celebration from Stan he just ran back to thehalf way line as if to say i still Love Southend and their fans and I want no part in any celebration of any goal against them. At the final whistle there was the bizarre scene of 11 Southend players and 1 Forest player applauding theSouthend fans.

You lot have absolutely blown me away with some of these. I've got goosebumps! I only hope I can do justice to them when I transplant them next week.

There was a story in a Roy of the Rovers annual about a strange foreigner who turns up at a lower league club one day. All he can say is 'Kengo Latt' and 'football'. These being more trusting times, they give him a trial and he turns out to be absolutely world class. He plays in their next match and scores a hat-trick, at which point a very upset official from a nearby top flight club appears and tells them that they've nicked their new signing, 'Ken Gollat' a famous Swedish international who got lost on his way to their ground. Ludicrous stuff, but I always think of that story when I think of Collymore at Southend. He was just SO much better than everyone else that something felt very wrong.

Younger readers are probably looking at this and wondering what we're going on about, but Collymore could have been one of the best strikers in Europe. And in fairness, he didn't do too badly, did he?

Anyway, keep 'em coming if you've got 'em, I'll try and squeeze bits of as many as I can in.

As many have already stated, Stan lookeds such a great player for us, in our team and in that division.

However, the stand-out memory of Stan for me is that he had the passion of a true fan.
I have a "still" in my mind of Stan coming to the North Bank after scoring. I cannot tell you how the goal went in or who it was against. But I can remember the look in Stan Collymore's eyes as he screamed at the celebrating Southend United fans. He actually wanted to get in the North Bank but at the time there were fences with grease smeared over them.

For a while...Stan was definately one of us!!

He certainly was one of us. Quality player, pure quality. Even playing through illness to assist us in our quest for safety. Stan loved celebrating with the fans, fences or not. The memory of his unshaven stubble rubbing on my cheek after jumping on the North Bank fencing is something i will always remember. I still have the grease stained shirt archived away in a place of safety!

OOOOOhhhhh Stanley Stanley!!!!!!!

I had a season ticket that year, and I turned up to hear this new guy from Crystal Palace was starting. I was initially gutted, as he was replacing Benjy who had been sold to Luton in the week...which I thought wasn't a particularly good bit of business by the club. Those days I used to buy the programme and faithfully write in any changes to the team. I still have the programme, with Ian Benjamin crossed out and Stanley Collymore written in.

I can just remember one of his goals, I think in the second half attacking the north bank end, in which he picked up the ball with his back to the goal, a defender up his a**e, and Stan just turning and beating him and curling the ball into the net from distance (I'm pretty sure one of the goals v Notts County was like this - but I could be confusing it with many of his other strikes which were in a similar vein). This guy had such strength, pace and power and was a cut above the defenders in this division.

The Friday night win against Grimsby is a great memory, it rained, and Stan got the winner. I was in the North Bank and we sang "What's it like to smell of fish" to the Grimsby fans getting wet. I think his goal may have been a header?

As has been mentioned, after the Luton game everyone tried to get his shirt and shorts, his shirt was literally ripped to shreds as he was carried off the pitch.

Great memories.

Good luck with the piece.

Stan was just special, something I'd never seen before at Roots Hall in my short time supporting the Blues, and not in the (nearly) 20 years since. and bear in mind that includes Freddy Eastwood, Stan didn't seem to have ANY weaknesses. He was quick, could pass with finesse, shoot with unbelievable power, beat a man and was virtually impossible to knock off the ball he was so strong. I remember going into school the week after the season finale against Luton and one of my classmates proudly proclaiming that he'd touched Stan while he was being chaired round the pitch, like he'd been at the sermon at the mount and Jesus had touched him. And that just about sums it up.

Special. Just special. I'm sad to say I will probably not see a Blues player with as much talent again in my lifetime, however I'm so glad I was able to see him power through defences like they weren't there - it was a real privilege. He made Eastwood look average, and Freddy has been phenomenal for this club......

Even today we still hear the occasional collective chant of his name at the Hall, almost 20 years after he left! He's someone who will always get a great reception whenever he returns to the Hall, I hope we see him come down for a game again at some point.

"Oh Stanley, Stanley!" :winking::loyalsupporter:

Made his Blues debut twenty years ago today.... what a hero:Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

Would love to take the credit, but fellow Zoner BlueWes just showed me the post on Stan's twitter (below). Only had the pleasure of meeting him once out in Portugal during Euro 2004, had plenty of time for us.

Stan Collymore ‏@StanCollymore
Made my debut for @SUFCRootsHall this day 20 years ago! Won 3-1 (h) v Notts County.2 goal salvo.Happy memories. Up.The.Shrimpers.

Expand

Back