• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree entirely and I believe it's why we've always lost a number games at home. Even in promotion seasons we lost a fair few home games.

I have never been an an away ground where the fans get on the back of their own players as much as they do at Roots Hall.

It seems to be worse now though, possibly because a number of supporters cannot accept that Steve Tilson is no longer the manager. How anyone can cheer Blair Sturrock being substituted is beyond me. The fella is one of the hardest-working players we've ever had, and he has some ability too. But because he's the manager's son (and the manager isn't Steve Tilson) and not a huge goalscorer, he gets the bird. He has 4 goals this season, so is on course of 8. When you consider Bary Corr is on course for over 20, that doesn't mke such a bad return does it?

Matt Paterson comes on and shows far less ethusiasm and goal threat, yet doesn't get much stick? Because he's a Tilson signing I assume.

But when a Seagull comes on the pitch, everyone starts chanting. But they can't show that enthusiasm for the team. Pretty sad and pathetic to be honest.

absolutely talking out of your arse mate you reckon southend fans are the most hostile to there own players in the country ???? joke?

The thread is not about who are the worse supporters in the country but; why some in our own crowd go to a match and give an advantage to the opposition by booing our own players. How many more points could we gain per season if the whole crowd were behind the team whatever the score. Sad that many of the crowd (refuse to call them supporters) in the South Upper were enjoying abusing their own team. Seemed to have a competition who could abuse the worse

OBD - Spot on mate, if only the minority of idiots who hurled abuse at the players had the same rationale!

There are certain players within the team who I don't particularly feel add any quality but I'll never boo, cheer when subbed or sarcastically applaude them. It's absolutely no suprise that the team have a better record away from home and says something about today's match that most fans seemed more interested with the appearance of the seagull than the game......however I did find the substitution of Tony BIRD quite amusing shortly afterwards!!! :)

UTB!!!

At the beginning of 2010 we were a mid table League One outfit, yet now we are languishing in the bottom half of League Two and 2-0 down at home to Cheltenham after five minutes, it's hardly surprising fans are disgruntled! Although I feel the bulk of the vitriol should be aimed at RM, I don't think the players should be exempt from harsh words from the stands as they surely are some of the worst players to ever pull on a Southend shirt! Granty aside, none of them are heroes or fans' favourites like we've had in recent years such as Barrett, Barnard, Eastwood etc...

With regard to Blair Sturrock, I feel any criticism of him is justified. Due to non attendance of home matches I have only seen him play once for Southend (away at Stevenage) and he looked awful, not up to Football League standard. Many lower division fans know that Blair Sturrock’s career often gets resurrected wherever his father is managing, which is nepotism of the highest order. If Blair Sturrock had proved himself at other clubs outside of his father’s influence supporters would probably have more respect for him, however he has spent more than 10 years on a continual cycle of joining Sturrock senior’s team then being released to an inferior club shortly after Sturrock senior leaves/is sacked. Blair Sturrock appears to be a son who is constantly relying on his family for support because he cannot hold down a job elsewhere! (eg. Kidderminster, Mansfield, Rochdale).

Players are are not deliberately crap. You shouldn't abuse a man because he's not as talented as somebody else. Yet you think the treatment Sturrock gets, a hard worker and far from our worst player, is justified on the one game you've seen. Rubbish.

actually I am going to post something sensible hear, so hold the back page, .............. I have never ever ever been to a FOOTBALL GROUND were the players,club,management get such little critisism, I honestly stand by that Honestly I cant believe we are being described as scum of the earth for the support we give the team. Personally our support will be the death of this club we are sitting back and letting this club be destroyed from benoeath our feet and we have and do nothing. FOr what its worth I applaud those that boycott the club for sticking up in what you believe I too dont go I did today howver I have been brought 2 season tickets at the start of the year but still mainly choose not to go, why bother going to a restaurent that is a pile of **** and cook nothing that you like?? anyway back on track I never ever boo any of our players when I am at the game, the thought of showing any form of passion for any of them good or bad has long gone, seasons ago yes but now I dont even aknowledge a goal ! but honestly to say we support our players badley, FKUCK THEM ABSOLUTELY FKUCK THEM<BUNCH OF USELEESS MERCENARIES (ooh DWB FBM Firestorm, blue manlady my season ticket is block t row J seats 131 132 come and give me all that you ve got ******s x

Years ago I used to work in Leyton on a Saturday and couldn't get to SUFC games but did pop across to Orient several times as the company I was employed by sponsored the odd game and took ground board advertising. When I was a kid I also used to get taken to Fulham and West Ham a lot and the fans at all those clubs were far more vocal, critical and aggressive than we are but on an individual basis. I have never heard any other fans ridicule their own players in the way that we have done and do.

As for the final offer to give you all that I've got, I can't speak for DWB, Firestorm or OBL but I think I'll pass. Firstly, I haven't got anything I'd want to give you, secondly I'm not ashamed to admit that I'd be no match for you in any contest (I prefer non-violent and non confrontational methods of resolving issues) but in any event you probably wouldn't be there anyway as you boycott most games. It's a shame you have resorted to this; I was of the opinion that once upon a time, although we held differing views on several things, at least there was enough mutual respect to not resort to abuse and threats. Pity.

All joking aside and going on what i read about this new recruit this "Seagull" sounds like a great prospect,with his ability to get somewhere near our aerial passes could be a vital squad player!!!

Man up or shut up. This is why despite a season ticket I have only been to the Torquay game this season. If you don't like people shouting abuse at the players say something. Don't wait till you get home. That will achieve **** all. As for issuing threats or "invitations" to come and give us what you got!!!!! Really? FFS sort it out.
Despite my little one man boycott I am still a Southend fan and always will be. I don't have experience of other clubs fans so can only comment on our club. Southend home fans have always done this. Look at the abuse Mark Gower got and the support Drewe Broughton got!!! Matt Harold hounded out whilst there was cries for Alex revell to come back and save us.

You pay your money and are entitled to support or criticise as you see fit, but that also means people "coming and giving what they got" if they don't agree with the bollocks you spew out.

Waking up this morning I cannot believe what dross we have.
Cannot believe all this lets get behind the team.
How much longer have we got to do this for.
We are shxt, you know it
Martin got away with Murder and you know it
The team play hoof ball, you know it
Sturrocks son is not his and he will be dropped when he finds out!!!
4900 for a BH game is a big worry, next home game with be under 4000
Stop being happy clappers and start showing how you really feel before its to late

Back on track, quite a majority of you look like you agree with me.

Those that don't, yeah you pay your money, but why bother if all you are going to do is go and moan and slag off our players?
I don't know what you all expect, what I expected was a lot worse than we've got.

Someone mentioned that none of these are a fans favourite. Its understandable, I heard someone say yesterday, 'we have no players that we can relate to', I don't happen to agree with that, but you can see why, Adam Barrett a 'fan' of the club, Macca 'die hard passion' etc etc.
But we do have players like that, Craig Easton yesterday he put in some quality tackles, so did Clohessy, and Blair works so hard every game. We've got Barry Corr he's scored 10, Chris Barker, he's probably better than Barrett, but it all goes un noticed. Bilel, he gets a bit of appreciation, Some of the players we've got here are of quality, some aren't so good. But it does take time.

I don't know what some of you think is the procedure of signing players is, but it certainly isn't easy. Especially when a team like ****ing Crawley town is snatching your players. Football is ****ed.

To actually abuse your own players is completely out of line, I thought I'd calmed down a bit but I haven't.

Cheers life!

P.S

On the subject of hoof ball, (following Badger's comment)

We don't actually play that much hoof ball, the problem was yesterday that they went two nil up and sat behind the ball with one man up top for 85 minutes.
When we played it on the deck we actually scored, we aren't a bad footballing side, but it's hard when 10 men are behind the ball.

What gets me the most is that after a 2 nil win the other day there was no moaning (obviously) but also not much praise and joy from the ones who come on as soon as we drop points.

Last edited:
I have been one of the more vocal anti Sturrock posters on here. I do not like the man, his persona, team tactics or selections. However, I have been revitalised with our last three performances. Our wins at Cheltenham and Oxford were both superb and yesterday's last half hour gave me heart that this team is battling. The abuse from the terraces yesterday was uncalled for. Football is a game of ups and downs, I can assure you I have been down all season, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, I am sure of it now, just support.

Years ago I used to work in Leyton on a Saturday and couldn't get to SUFC games but did pop across to Orient several times as the company I was employed by sponsored the odd game and took ground board advertising. When I was a kid I also used to get taken to Fulham and West Ham a lot and the fans at all those clubs were far more vocal, critical and aggressive than we are but on an individual basis. I have never heard any other fans ridicule their own players in the way that we have done and do.

As for the final offer to give you all that I've got, I can't speak for DWB, Firestorm or OBL but I think I'll pass. Firstly, I haven't got anything I'd want to give you, secondly I'm not ashamed to admit that I'd be no match for you in any contest (I prefer non-violent and non confrontational methods of resolving issues) but in any event you probably wouldn't be there anyway as you boycott most games. It's a shame you have resorted to this; I was of the opinion that once upon a time, although we held differing views on several things, at least there was enough mutual respect to not resort to abuse and threats. Pity.

I just think cockles is extremely unlucky, to be honest. I mean... this little protest he's having seems to coincide with every game we draw or win, while he seems to attend every game we lose and is vocal about it on here afterwards. And he's achieving all this having returned his season card and cancelled the direct debits. It's quite a feat.

I just think cockles is extremely unlucky, to be honest. I mean... this little protest he's having seems to coincide with every game we draw or win, while he seems to attend every game we lose and is vocal about it on here afterwards. And he's achieving all this having returned his season card and cancelled the direct debits. It's quite a feat.

I think you may just be messing with the wrong man here mate, be careful what you say!!!

Back on track, quite a majority of you look like you agree with me.

Those that don't, yeah you pay your money, but why bother if all you are going to do is go and moan and slag off our players?
I don't know what you all expect, what I expected was a lot worse than we've got.

Someone mentioned that none of these are a fans favourite. Its understandable, I heard someone say yesterday, 'we have no players that we can relate to', I don't happen to agree with that, but you can see why, Adam Barrett a 'fan' of the club, Macca 'die hard passion' etc etc.
But we do have players like that, Craig Easton yesterday he put in some quality tackles, so did Clohessy, and Blair works so hard every game. We've got Barry Corr he's scored 10, Chris Barker, he's probably better than Barrett, but it all goes un noticed. Bilel, he gets a bit of appreciation, Some of the players we've got here are of quality, some aren't so good. But it does take time.

I don't know what some of you think is the procedure of signing players is, but it certainly isn't easy. Especially when a team like ****ing Crawley town is snatching your players. Football is ****ed.

To actually abuse your own players is completely out of line, I thought I'd calmed down a bit but I haven't.

Cheers life!

P.S

On the subject of hoof ball, (following Badger's comment)

We don't actually play that much hoof ball, the problem was yesterday that they went two nil up and sat behind the ball with one man up top for 85 minutes.
When we played it on the deck we actually scored, we aren't a bad footballing side, but it's hard when 10 men are behind the ball.

What gets me the most is that after a 2 nil win the other day there was no moaning (obviously) but also not much praise and joy from the ones who come on as soon as we drop points.

Am guessing OBD that your a 16/17 year old kid that thinks we are still going to win the league.
Am afraid Football Manager is not the same in real life.
How many fans did you go upto yesterday and tell them to stop?
I remember when this happened at Yeovil and we was slagging off our keeper, I cant remember who and some one told us to shut the fxck up.
Dont think I have seen this guy at football anymore!!!
As long as you have paid for your ticket then your entitled to your say
two nil down after 4 mins than I think the team got away lightly with what was being said from the stands

So a questin to you?
Which one would you rather me shout abuse at regarding games?
1. Sturrock
2.Team
3. Martin

1. Chanting '****ing Useless to our own player who puts his ****ing heart into his performances, doing what nobody else wants to do, the ****ing dirty work.
2. Cheering when Rhys Evans catches the ball. Brilliant.
3. Constant moaning.
4. Chanting the Seagull louder than anything else.
5. Last 4 minutes absolutely no noise at all to encourage and to get behind our team who could have earned a well deserved point.
6. Cheering when the substitution where made.
7. Sitting in chair not moving, clapping, shouting, breathing.
8. Actual verbal abuse towards players, OUR OWN ****ING PLAYERS.

On the Richter scale of idiocy today was off the scale.

This list could go on.

I've had enough of the ****ing fans. Ron Martin might have ****ed us up, we might be skint, some of the players might not be good enough. But I feel more driven out of this club, which we all ****ing love, by our own fans, and it isn't just a minority it's a lot of them.

We deserved atleast a point today, and if it wasn't for a completely outrageously well struck free kick and a muck up defensively and by the goal keeper we would have had three points.

I'm not pointing the finger at anybody in particular because I heard it from all angles, told several people to **** off home, and that's is exactly what I'm doing now, please just **** off and don't come back . I can take not winning sometimes, but I can't take idiocy.

Looking at Blair's face when he heard ' ****ing useless ' actually has upset me, he just shook his head and you could tell, he just thought 'you absolute idiots'. He puts a lot into his game, and it goes un noticed, not only effort but he offers a lot.

These players are here, they want to play for us, some of them may not have had any other offers, but they are still here, so I love every single one of them.

Running off the pitch, hearing yourself being cheered off because you know the fans don't want you there must be the worst feeling in the world. You can say 'Oh they are men they can take it, they get paid to play football for christ sake' That's exactly right, but it doesn't stop the hurt does it? I just hope that someone reads what I'm saying now and thinks 'Oh **** maybe I have been being a bit stupid'. I hope someone reads this and passes it onto the players because some of us actually appreciate the effort, even if it's a loss, they still put effort in, it hurts losing. But we still performed well, at times we where real quality.

I don't even know if these sentences are well structured, or if there are any spelling mistakes or anything that might be held under 'grammaticality'.

**** sake. I could go on but I just might lose my mind.

AyyyyyyyyyyyyyyMEN brother! Never have I seen asterisks more gainfully employed. The ire directed at Sturrock gets on my wick. It is not as though he is the weakest player in the team - not even close! In fact, almost everyone praised his role in our recent good form up to yesterday. If you look at player ratings on our own site, most people put him near the top much more often than not. It is simply a perception thing - he is the bosses son, therefore whenever he makes a mistake everyone is on his back shouting nepotism. If it wasn't so damaging to team morale it would be laughably stupid.
:witch Hunt:
Unfortunately, we reap what we sow as a set of supporters. We boo players, cheer when they are subbed, ironically cheer when a keeper makes a save, start abusive chants and then wonder why the players give error strewn performances.
We CAN get to the playoff positions in this league. Everything is up for grabs. However, with most of the games as home from now we MUST get behind the team. UTB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back