• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No, don't agree, also had a lot of time for him. it was circumstances that led him to move on in the manner he did.

I'm torn with this guy. I feel e's quite genuine, and the squad he assembled would/could/should have got us into the Premiership, BUT, the lure of the $ left the otential unfulfilled, which is one reason I'll never forgive him.
The other reason was the squad itself. Although, getting to the higher level would have meant affording 35+ professional contracted players, the fact we didn't make it, meant we were financially screwed for a very long time, and maybe still paying for them now (in some ways).

There's more to Fry's departure from Roots Hall than we were told at the time.
I still think a lot of it related to Jobson being scared about having to put his hand in his pocket for a concerted push at Premiership football.

Slipper's excellent book (& a conversation I had a couple of years ago with a member of the squad from that time) confirm to me that it was one of those cases where there were faults on both sides, but I guess as he was still the one at Southend, Uncle Vic felt he had to spin it to make it look as if Fry was the only self-important one!

There's more to Fry's departure from Roots Hall than we were told at the time.
I still think a lot of it related to Jobson being scared about having to put his hand in his pocket for a concerted push at Premiership football.

Slipper's excellent book (& a conversation I had a couple of years ago with a member of the squad from that time) confirm to me that it was one of those cases where there were faults on both sides, but I guess as he was still the one at Southend, Uncle Vic felt he had to spin it to make it look as if Fry was the only self-important one!

agreed.

My brother had many meetings with Mr Jobson regarding the proposed policing levels and costs, should we get promoted to the Premiership. Mr Jobson would not agree to the costs involved for Division 1, let alone for the Premiership, and the police were withdrawn from home games, leaving SIX officers inside the ground for matchdays.
Mr fry, did not agree with this policy, and I believe this was one of the reasons he went elsewhere.

He is a fat judas C U Next Tuesday, end of

He only did what 99% of managers in his position would have done! Morals don't come in to it these days. I personally think he is a **** but if i was in the same position maybe i'd have done the same. We all have to earn a living and if i was offered such a move i'd have to consider it! After all, people call me a fat **** anyway so what would i have to lose.

In the absence of having anything worthwhile to do today, I decided to drag myself of to watch Grays Athletic play Kidderminster Harriers.

Whilst in the club shop buying a programme who should walk in with his Mrs. but dear old Bazzer himself for his complimentary tickets.

Now I know for obvious reasons he is not a fan favourite here but you had to admire the way he was with people in the ground thereafter, stopping to talk to the fans on the terraces, shaking hands, signing autographs etc and really going out of his way to give his time in whatever way was required.

Have to say I still have a soft spot for Barry as I have always felt he is a real football man whose teams have always played decent, attacking football. He did a great job here before leaving to go to Birmingham - keeping us up with Stan that season was simply a miracle of biblical proportions now looking back and though he's copped stick at RH badly over the years, it seemed muted v Peterborough this season and very isolated. which I was glad to see.

He was watching Kidderminster's Russ Penn apparently. Peterborough are supposedly signing him on loan next week.

That may all be true, but he's still a Judas ****.

He only did what 99% of managers in his position would have done! Morals don't come in to it these days. I personally think he is a **** but if i was in the same position maybe i'd have done the same. We all have to earn a living and if i was offered such a move i'd have to consider it! After all, people call me a fat **** anyway so what would i have to lose.

agreed..on all points..u fat ****!

In the absence of having anything worthwhile to do today, I decided to drag myself of to watch Grays Athletic play Kidderminster Harriers.

Whilst in the club shop buying a programme who should walk in with his Mrs. but dear old Bazzer himself for his complimentary tickets.

Now I know for obvious reasons he is not a fan favourite here but you had to admire the way he was with people in the ground thereafter, stopping to talk to the fans on the terraces, shaking hands, signing autographs etc and really going out of his way to give his time in whatever way was required.

Pity he couldn't have seen his way clear to pay to get in then. Non League clubs can do with the cash.

Pity he couldn't have seen his way clear to pay to get in then. Non League clubs can do with the cash.

LOL... Yeah, you have a point there Mick. £26.00 for him and the Mrs. to watch that game (best I've seen this season) would have actually been cheap at the price.

LOL... Yeah, you have a point there Mick. £26.00 for him and the Mrs. to watch that game (best I've seen this season) would have actually been cheap at the price.

Yes, second half was certainly good value.

Fry's English Delight

legends150x186zy8.jpg

FORMER Birmingham City, Peterborough, Southend and Barnet Manager Barry Fry has spoken of his delight at being named Manager of The England Legends for their game against Ireland at Fulham's Craven Cottage on Thursday evening.

Fry, who steps into the shoes of former Legends boss Peter Reid, takes charge of a 16-man England Legends squad that faces their Ireland counterparts live on ITV4 for The Johnny Haynes Cup. He commented: "It is the dream of every Englishman to take the reigns of his national team and while Mr. Capello might have the top job, this one's not far behind. I never thought I'd have the chance to field a team that includes names like Robson, Walker, Merson, Woods, Le Saux, Winterburn, Sharpe and Parlour. This is proper fantasy football! I know that England expects, but I think I am the man to deliver the dreams of a nation and really get country really buzzing before the England boys take on Kazakhstan at the weekend."

Fry takes charge of an England Legends squad that earned 395 international caps and scored 39 goals. The England Legends have lifted 15 titles, 18 FA Cups, eleven League Cups, two European Cups and five European Cup Winners Cups. Fry faces Ireland Player/Manager Niall Quinn whose 15-man squad has earned 549 international caps and scored 66 goals, lifted three FA Cups and two European Cup Winners Cups.

Physically, the Irish Legends have the edge, their average age is 42 compared and England's almost 43. Dermot Gallagher, who, over a 15-year Premier League career, officiated at 378 games, will referee the match.

The Legends: England v Republic of Ireland is the third game in The 2008 Legends Series. The England Legends beat their Scottish counterparts 2-0 at St. Mary's Stadium Southampton on Thursday May 15th before losing 5-1 to Germany at Sheffield United's Bramall Lane.

Tickets for The Legends: England v Ireland are £14 for adults (over 16) and £8 for OAPs/Students, plus booking fee and available from Fulham Football Club's Box Office on 0870 442 1234. Transmission for The Legends: England v Ireland will begin at 7pm. All Legends football games operate a 'Kid-A-Quid' scheme; all children under 16 will gain entry to The Legends for just £1.

------------

So who is going to be watching this on ITV4 at 7.00.pm?

He will probably get a call from the Brazil Legends (as long as they have some slapper Chief Exec) this afternoon and vanish with all of his coaches, leaving three inflatable Mr Blobby toys on the bench to manage England.

Back