• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
Haven't seen this anywhere else yet......

Chairman's Blog

What a good day Saturday was and with nothing to play for I thought that the team performed well and remained committed to the cause right to the end.

It was also a day to celebrate the success of the Club’s youth policy which, I have said previously, is beginning to pay dividends. This is the first occasion in the Club’s history our youth side has won the league and all the players together with Ricky Duncan and his staff should be congratulated.

At the final whistle I also attempted to congratulate you, the Club’s fans, for the brilliant support throughout the year. I truly meant what I said, that there are a lot of good things going on in your Club at the moment but mostly it is you. That may sound cheesy but I think it should be recognised. I cannot build this Club without you and in many ways it is a partnership as we are stiring for the same – so why not say WELL DONE when it is deserved.

Moving on to the Q&A it is important to appreciate that these questions are being selected at random by the Club’s media department and therefore they are not necessarily new and could be four or five weeks old. It is a mixture chosen by others and whatever lands on my desk – whether it was written yesterday or at the “beginning”, I will do my best to answer as follows:

Why are reserve games played on week days during the afternoon, usually 2pm? Is it something that the club has a choice about as I and many people I know would go to more games if they were played later (maybe 4pm or 5pm) or at weekends if possible?
Sam Leveridge

Reserve games on a Tuesday are an industry norm and are scheduled to keep players match fit and to test their availability for the forthcoming weekend matches. The timing at around 2.00pm normally achieves continuity from the morning training session for those not involved in the reserve team games and because it is important the manager watches reserve matches you will understand why they cannot be held at the weekend which would otherwise clash with the first team activity.

Rumours are circulating that one or more clubs will be making large bids to Scunthorpe for Gary Hooper. Can you confirm that we do have a sell-on clause with Scunthorpe, if so the percentage, and if that is a percentage of the total sale or Scunthorpe 's profit on the sale?
Tom Lister

We always try to incorporate sell-on clauses particularly with younger players and this was the case with Gary Hooper which is 20% and is calculated after first deducting the original sale price i.e. in this instance Scunthorpe United’s profit. We also now have sell-ons with Nicky Bailey and JCR.

As I wrote last week, in my view Ron does have to address the rumours about the players not being paid, or being paid late. If he does not tackle this it undermines the whole exercise in my view. This would be a shame because it has been a very interesting read and I have been impressed with the blogs so far.
Mark Sargent

I can do no better than to attach a copy of an email addressed to me to which Geoffrey King, the Club’s CEO, responded on the same topic a while back.

Mr King

The Chairman has passed me your email to him dated 4 March 2009.

All I can say is that rumours of one kind or another circulate the environs and surrounds of football clubs continually and if I tried to justify each and every one I would do nothing else for the Club and nor would the Chairman.

I have nothing to say about this rumour other than to say that players and staff have been paid on time.

Regards

Geoffrey King

Geoffrey King
Chief Executive
Southend United Football Club
Roots Hall Stadium
Victoria Avenue
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
SS2 6NQ

Tel: 01702 304050

Sent: 04 March 2009 18:14
To: Ron Martin
Subject: Players wages [Scanned by Sophos]

Hello Ron.

Thanks for your latest blog, it makes very interesting and gives us all something to look forward to.

However, there is a rumour going around amongst the fans that there have been times this season that the players have not been paid, and that so much money is being ploughed into the new stadium, some things at the club, ie players wages and bonuses are suffering.

A supporter who is quite friendly with one of the players father, says he was told the above by him.

I cannot believe that you would allow this situation to arise, but i do think that this subject needs to be addressed very soon, and a statement from you to the rumour mongers via the website would be beneficial, as these rumours tend to spread like wildfire.

It's good to see the team beginning to pick up some decent results lately, ( except Tuesday evening) and hope it continues.

Regards
Richard King

Last year my husband and I purchased some shares in SUFC, I understand that these are not shares that float on the stock market. Can you tell me what it is that I have actually purchased and how do I know how my investment is actually performing?
Sharon Twigg

New shares were issued in the Football Club BEFORE we received the outcome of the Planning Inquiry. The reason for this is to give supporters an opportunity to own shares in Southend United Football Club which inevitably would be more valuable if we subsequently received planning approval (which of course we did) and the Club went on to be housed in a new stadium with all the prospects that brings.

So you have acquired shares in your Football Club. These are not publicly traded but I would not discount that possibility. At present the Club often receives requests to buy shares and the Club Secretary keeps a note of those interested parties, the last demand having been largely fulfilled by the new issue.

Please can you explain how Southend United Football Club (as opposed to the landowner) will benefit financially from the non-football activities at the new stadium complex? Will the club receive a share of the non-football revenue and, if so, on what basis if it is not the landowner? What is the financial model for the club at the new stadium? Is it purely based around having a much larger fan base? Will the club have to pay rent to the landowner and, if so, how much? If not, on what basis would the club not be required to pay rent? What safeguards will be put in place to protect the club's ability to keep receiving any non-football income or not having to pay crippling rent, on a longer-term basis (ie for the club to have a sustainable financial future at the new stadium) if one or more of the initial group of companies is sold off so that the landowner and the football club are no longer owned by the same people?
Paul Gershlick

We propose to have a Stadium Operating Company. All revenues will flow into that company and be redistributed to the Football Club as the Board sees fit. At present I am the majority shareholder in all the Group companies and this has been the position for a number of years.

Last year I suggested to the Shrimpers Trust that I would welcome their involvement in the operating company in a similar way we have jointly enjoyed over the past seven to eight years.

At Roots Hall the Club has a formal lease which provides it with security of tenure but as all fans know no rent has been paid charged which, over the period, is in excess of £5m and at today’s value over the time probably approaching £10m. I have written this off.

The Club will not be reliant on gate receipts alone – this is a fundamental issue. There will be a plethora of income streams that will flow to the benefit of the Football Club including, I propose, a substantial capital receipt to provide additional momentum for the Club’s continued growth.

I cannot forecast the future and as to whether I will remain the major shareholder in the Club’s parent company ad infinitum but certainly I have no future plans to divest my interest and if I did I would ensure proper provision to protect the Club’s interest – a position that will be much easier to achieve than the limited possibilities for growth we have had to endure whilst here at Roots Hall.

With identifying that the children will be the fans of the future would it be possible to allow children to sit anywhere in the new ground for the normal price of a family ticket?
Paul Joyce

The intention is to have a dedicated family area and this has already been identified in the new stadium. The reason is primarily to keep families in an environment conducive to children. I know we will never eradicate abusive language but at least like minded people with children are less likely to sear etc. We also intend to tailor the nearby catering for families and perhaps other family orientated features in this section.

After reading the chairman’s blog, I was wondering why is it, players like Harrold and Hooper, can't score for us, yet go to over teams and have a very good season. Are we letting these young players go without giving them a fair crack of the whip, Billy Painter has been getting on the score sheet at Swindon on a regular basis. We haven't had a proven goalscorer now for two seasons, we can't keep loaning in strikers.
Steve Newson

This is a difficult one to answer. I know I have said previously that Steve Tilson would say that Matt Harrold is scoring in a lower division but of course that cannot be the answer for Gary Hooper or indeed, but to a lesser degree, Billy Paynter.

I do not think there is any rhyme or reason why a player does better at one club than they might have done at a previous one other than, of course, the Manager’s influence. However Steve Tilson is very good at getting his players’ commitments – so that may not be the only answer either. Certainly it is really disappointing that Gary has gone on to do so well at Scunthorpe when a regular goal scorer has been the primary missing link for us again this season.

I know managers say “he just did not do it for us” whereas I prefer to look at the reasons why a player might not have performed at Southend United so that we do not make the same mistakes again – if indeed they are mistakes.

Whilst it is expensive I have changed the policy this year and rather than make decisions for young players to leave the Club at, say, 18 we are extending the development squad to age 20 (as a minimum). This will allow the lads more time to mature and for their potential to be recognised – or not!

Hopefully by changing this policy and providing more investment to do so the Michael Kightly’s of this world will have less opportunity of falling through the net.

Before I sign off just to let you know we are already busy selecting targets and have commenced discussions. I am intent in not having a repeat of the “harum-scarum” position that arose last season and want a stable squad to help ensure continuity from the outset of the new season. We have got some great places to visit and challenges to overcome and only by careful pre-planning will we succeed – and succeed we will!

Up the Blues!

Don't like the way he says
Of course Steve Tilson would say...
And the rest of the beginning of the last question all seems a bit dodgy but he does go on to praise him.

Great blog - impressive that he makes time to do this. He's about as far removed from Vic Jobson as it's possible to get in this respect. Good news about the sell-on clauses for Bailey, JCR and Hooper too - we may be getting at least one windfall this Summer, possibly three......

Interesting that the last paragraph is very much in line with what Brushy was saying. Perhaps I should upgrade my first impressions of it being a quiet July on the transfer front. Let's wait and see whether actions will actually follow all these words this time ............will be fascinating to see.

there are obviously tensions between RM and Tilly -

Tilly was quite strident about new signings with a lot of "hopefullys" - meaning "as long as RM does what hes promised" .... while RM obviously doubts Tilly judgement on occasion.

Perhaps at the end of the day there is a lot of ego involved - with RM perhaps resenting Tillys hero status at the club .... and resenting his dependence on Tilly - I thought it was just plain wrong of RM to have a "football advisor" on the pay roll.

Anyway the truth is probably that SUFC has made RM a lot of cash - and that Tilsons success has made it possible for RM to see an even bigger future - probably not what he had in mind when he took over a near bankrupt entity at teh foot of league 2.

Funny old game football

Interesting that he "attempted" to thank us all at the end v Cheltenham. Did he or didn't he? If he tried and failed, why? Did he mispronounce the word "thank"? Did he only thank the East stand? How can you have an attempted thank you?

Interesting that he "attempted" to thank us all at the end v Cheltenham. Did he or didn't he? If he tried and failed, why? Did he mispronounce the word "thank"? Did he only thank the East stand? How can you have an attempted thank you?

Not totally sure but some were saying the speakers in the West weren't working, which may explain his "attempt".

I guess Ron is very much hoping that at least one of those 3 get a move in the summer, especially Hooper, to give Tilly some funds. Dont think there will be a lot of transfer movement but clearly we need a replacement for Dervitte, a left back, a midfielder or two and hopefullly Theo.

Any one else notice Geoff " P.R." King's e-mail in the blog.

Doesn't he have a lovely grasp of the English language, and how he comes across as caring deeply about the subject matter and recipient of his letter in his written prose.

:net:

Any one else notice Geoff " P.R." King's e-mail in the blog.

Doesn't he have a lovely grasp of the English language, and how he comes across as caring deeply about the subject matter and recipient of his letter in his written prose.

I think it stands out in the way it does because it's alongside RM's rather more flowery style. GK's response is fine for me as I think it answers the question without waffle and leaves no room for doubt. Having said that, I didn't send in the question and the other Mr King may disagree.

Last edited:
Back